How to link drawing no with a item?

Hi, I want to know in which field can I put in a drawing’s number and version number that are linked to a item? (In a manufacturing plant, we have parts with engineering drawings.) Thanks.

Hi Ily No particular field is designated the drawing number field. In standard Navision the advice is to use the position field on the BOM. I would advise if it is required on the item to use an unused field - or create a new field. You will also need to adopt processes for the updating of the field in the system when this is altered on the drawing.

quote:

Originally posted by SBWEAVER
I would advise if it is required on the item to use an unused field - or create a new field.

Say WHAT! I would NEVER use a field for other than it’s intended use! if you utilize fieds for other than their intended use, you might end up having funny things happen to your system. I once had to implement the use of IntraStat (a europe 1099-like thing). - No big deal - I thought. However the Programmer they use before me, had used the Country table for some other thing - not even to store countries (to save a few bucks). Now try, to explain a customer, that a $200 granule, would cost $2000 to implement… My point is, don’t be afraid to add new fields and tables if you need to, it isn’t that hard to do an upgrade, as long as you do a little documentation. I have also seen a lot of option fields in my time. I hate them. five minuttes after you client says “Yes, this is the only selection we will ever need”, they come up with “- ohh - well we need one more, and it has to be between number 2 and 3!” - If the value of the field, does not require different behaviour in the software; Create a new Code/Description table and a new field. Period!

We did this for a particular client.However, We just added a new field to the item card such that it can be attached to an item in a particular form.(Acess tot his given only to the designers so that version control is not required.) And the same field was exrtended to item card and BOM lines with a link which idrectly gave access to the Drawing file ( We used Acrobat Reader but a CAD file reader can also be used.) Regards, DD

quote:

I would NEVER use a field for other than it’s intended use!

So you either charge everything out as development or have brainless implementors [;)]. If it is planned, specified and thought out there is nothing wrong with adapting the system - it is a low level form of development that has no issues with upgrades. A little documentation is the last thing I have seen developers do having taken over users in this country, and from what I here it is done terribly all aver the world! I have no problem with making the change through development (I gave them both choices), but I can also use the standard system if I want to. If your one example is Intrastat then the people who advised the using of the fields were not very bright - you may as well utilise the odd “tax” field you are not using [:D].

Hi Ily We have a similar issue with linking items to drawings, and tracking revisions in the system. We ended up doing our own custom. We made a drawing table that loosely parallels item, and then added a field to the item table/card that linked to the drawing number in the new table. The drawing number table includes the drawing revisions. We also use Item Variant to track revisions of the parts. The nice thing about this is that Item Variant posts to most ledgers so we have a good revision history. The down side is that there is a bug in several of the journals in the Item Variant table relation that has to be fixed before you can post anything. (Using MFR 2.60, bugs still there in 3.60 - haven’t seen 3.70 yet) Milt

I’m a little confused. The question is: Does it important to attach or link drawing numbers to a specific item in a manufacturing plant? If it does, why doesn’t Navision have a standard field to store the numbers?(I mean, Navision has been used in variant types of companies for many years)

quote:

Originally posted by lly
why doesn’t Navision have a standard field to store the numbers?(I mean, Navision has been used in variant types of companies for many years)

You’d be surpised to know which Navision fields could have been ‘Standard’ but are not. What about Color, Material, Type, Model, Created by etc. etc. The good thing about Navision is that you can add it without any programming skills…like me [:D]