Hello and help!

Hello, I have decided to join this forum as i’m hoping someone can make my job easier.

firstly i should state that i’m not a developer in navision but a database analyst which bascially entails maintaining a database so i have no technical knowledge of navision, my query is this;

i run reports every morning for different business units, the report criteria is the same for all, can this be scheduled to run every morning? I then have to open these TXT files through excel report sent on the previous morning and change the format of the report depending on which business unit i’m sending the report to. i hope i’m making sense here.

this is very time consuming. so before i go to the IT dept here and make a fool of myself, can you advise me on what my options are.

i should add that the Navision is version 4.

if i’m in the wrong forum can you please advise. sorry i’m a complete newbie to all this.

any advice much appreciated. thanks j

Hi John,

Welcome to the Dynamics User Group. Yes you’re right, you’re in the wrong forum. But since you’re a newbie, then no harm done! [:)]

You should really be asking your question in the “Dynamics NAV End-User” forum. If you ask there, then you’re much more likely to receive an answer.

Hello John,

You can automate the production of the report using the NAV job scheduler and you could also change what the reports produce so that an XL file is generated instead of a test file.

Or you can look at how the reports are generated and make a link from XL directly to the database.

Or you can look at Jet Reports.

I guess the question is how much any of these would cost to implement and how much time that would save.

All the options are possible and all have been implemenedt many times before.

Good luck.

Hi John,

Failte to Dynamics User Group,

One option I would add to Jonathan’s suggestions is to look at SQL reporting services (if SQL 2005) as I am guessing that you are using SQL

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your helpful replys. Now i will see what i can do.

I did notice the end user forum after posting this and tried to post there but it would not allow a duplicate posting.

Please, as Erike asked…

Don’t forget to “Verify Solution” the post(s) that solved your problem. This credits the experts who helped, earns you points and marks your thread as Resolved so we all know you have been helped.

Good luck.