Getting started

Hi all - I am new to Navision. I am a financial type who inherited a problematic Navision installation. I am hearing lots of noise about the way we have implemented the system. I want to be able to make informed decisions about the system. My questions are simple: What resources exist to learn about this system? What documentation exists? We seem to have to rely on our VAR for everything. I have a very solid background in financial systems and am very computer savy. So the information can range from user documentation to data models to programming. Thanks in advance. Harry

I’m writting a book to cover this, but its going slow at the moment… www.go-live.us/thebook

As a Navision consultant I must say(sadly) that there is not much of good documentation for end users. The sources I know of are the the following: On the Web: This site, www.mibuso.com and the the microsoft newsgroup: http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?fltr=,5,&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.navision There is also some trainingmaterial that that the solution centers can buy. This material can be useful for a qualified end user. The problem is that it can not be ordered by end users. Ask your solution center if you can buy it via them. If they are unwilling to provide it maybe you can buy it from another solution center. There is also a book you can order from amazon called “Managing your suply chain using Microsoft Navision” This book will just explain basic Navision concepts and give a lot of case studies. It is not a manual. There is also some free matarial from Microsoft for the latest released version, so if you have done an upgrade to version 4 sp 1 that could be useful.