Finance Charge Memo

In case when Ext. Doc. No. Mandatory is ticked on Sales & Receivables Setup if a Finance Charge Memo is created and if there is any interest amount calculated (the interest amount will be posted to the interest account and also a customer ledger entry will be created) at the point of issuing the Fin. charge memo it gives an error “External Document no. should be specified in gen journal template…”. This is same in 3.7 as well. Now my question is when you post a Fin. charge memo should it check for Ext. Doc. No. Mandatory on setup? If yes, where should it pick the external document no. if the fin charge memo has got more than one customer ledger entries? I have reported the issue to microsoft and they inturn reported to Denmark. Do anyone have any feed back???

Hello, How strange! Looking at the ‘Finance Charge Memo Header’ table (302), there is no “External Document No.” field, as you would find on Sales/Purchase Headers or Journals. Nor is there anything like it on the ‘Finance Charge Memo Line’ table. This looks like some sort of oversight. Reminder Letters and Finance Charge Memos do get often overlooked as Sales Documents as they are “tucked away” under Periodic Activities. I cannot really comment on how Finance Charge Memos should work - this is the first time in nearly five years I have had to look at a real life problem for them. I would either chase MBS or ask the client how they would like it to work in these circumstances[:D]

I wonder why you would set up the Ext. Doc. No. Mandatory in Sales Setup. It is quite difficult to invoice a sales document and onbeforehand to know which number the customer is going to stamp on your sales invoice… Never quite understood why this field exist at all on the Sales side… Would make sense to have it editable on the sales invoice, though. But of course you are right: as long as this field exists in Sales setup it should work also with fin. charge memos.

I

If you have external document number mandatory, and part ship & invoice. When you try to invoice a second delivery, then you get the error message ‘sales invoice already exists for customer’. Another small problema with external document no. I.e. you have to change the external document number to be able to post. Another small bug ?

No, that’s no bug, since the ext. doc. no. may only exist once per customer. if you partly invoice, you also send more than one invoice to the customer, which he hopefully will give different numbers for reference. this is the way it works in purchase as well.

I’d never thought of the external document number as the invoice number. I’d always thought of it as say ‘the customer sales order number’. Hence it seems logical to me that I could create an invoice for each delivery quoting the original customer sales order number. The invoice numbers used are from ‘posted invoice nos’ number series. Perhaps ‘your reference’ would be a better field to use for customer sales order number. But ‘your reference’ isn’t a standard display field on the order header.

yes, you could take the “your reference” for that purpose. The “external document no.” has to be unique. The online help is quite misleading in this case. …but Navigate only goes for the external doc. no.