filtering by shortcut dimension

'm trying to generate Ledger reports filtered by Short cut dimensions. Currently, NAV allows to filter the report based on the Global dimension only.

How do i do this?

Hi,

I am not a developper myself, but I think I can help conceptually :slight_smile:

So General Ledger table contains only global dimensions values. If you need other dimensions, you should look at Ledger Entry Dimensions table as well. Its name speaks enough what information is stored within. Shortcut dimensions are not stored directly in the various ledgers. As far as I know they are only used as a shortcut to show quickly the underlying dimensions in various forms.

yes! tanks for ur reply:) i want to filter my reports according to my employees! so i have to set employe as my shortcut dimension! right? i know we can set the dimensions in the “setup”------>general ledger setup!.. bt how do i use that with my existing reports?

How do your existing reports look like? If you try to generate report over GL entries you can use analyses by dimensions as well.

hey i tried doing that. the only problem 'm facing in that is ,i cant filter using any shortcut dimension! like for cronus the default Global dimensions are “dept” and “project code”…right? so only details mapped to that dimensions i can filter! but i want to filter using Employee! how do i do that? even if i set that as my shortcut dimension! it s not appearing in the report!

I think that if you create an Analysis View of your own and use it in an Analysis by dimensions, that will perfectly solve your problem. You can set up to 4 dimensions for the View. Besides for these 4 dimensions you can choose from all the dimensions that are set up and not just the shortcut dimensions.

i cant do that! i have to modify my existing report! its like the report is already there, 'm just going to filter it! usually we can do this filtering by the global dimensions right? but my customer wants to it by shortcut dimension! he doesnt want me to create a new report! just want to change the existing 1!

Is it a customised report that you have developed for your customer? If so, you should really look at the Ledger Entry Dimensions table, because it holds the information that you need.

oh i c! i ll look into it and let you know:) tanks again:)

hey thanks dude:) i did see that:) its been filtered by employee! but i have not checked it! will do that get back to you:)

is there a report for that Ledger Entry Dimensions table? i found the form! but i cant seem to find the related report!

hey borislav, i checked that table! i created a report with ledger entry dimension table and indented G/L account to it! when i view the report, its going upto 4000 pages!..now i want to know whether i can filter in this report according to my employee id? tanks in advance:)

hey i could filter it! tanks:)

for filtering reports with employee dimension in G/L ! we can create a report with “ledger entry dimension” table and indent G/l Account.

I am glad I helped. Since I can reproduce it in Access I guess it won’t be hard for a developer to encode it. [;)]

But once again I would advice you - if you can use the built-in features (in this case Analysis by dimensions) just use them. I bet they work faster than your report simply because they sort of pre-aggregate data in an Analysis view, which afterwards is used for the actual report.

hey i tried that! but its not as effective as the one you told me earlier:) anyhow i have alredy submitted the report for verification! only tomorrow i will know the result:) tanks once again:)