Field Caption rename

Hi all,

(using Nav 2009)

I was hoping someone could help me with how you rename a filed caption (in this case the field caption is on the entity card where currently there is a field called green card holder (with a Yes / no option to fill in)

Instead of Green Card holder I would like to rename this field

I have got as far as Client management > Setup > Security > Chang Log Setup > setup > Currently Logged Tables > 83005 Entity > functions > fields > field number 50051 has field caption ‘green card holder’

If I try to rename the field caption i receive an error message saying :

the CalcFormula for the field caption Flowfield in the Change Log setup (Field) table must start with ‘Sum(…’.

before I embark on a massive waste of my time can anyone tell me if this is going to require some sort of SQL edit, or even the C/AL language Navision is written/developed in? - I don’t want to fiddle with my companies settings without being sure

Massive thanks for all advice and ideas in advance

thank you

Alan

Hi Alan,

Not 100% sure exactly what you’re trying to do. You say that you want to rename a field caption, but then you mention an error in the Change Log. Normally this is not related at all.

You need to use the table designer in the classic client. Then you need to find the exact table holding the field you want to rename, and finally you need to find the field. But this is only possible if your license allows you to modify this exact table/field.

And before you do it, then make sure to have a backup (and that it can be restored - but that’s a different matter). Or do it in a local development database before you do it in your company’s production database.

If this all is new for you, then may I suggest that you give your NAV partner a call. He/she can do this change in minutes…

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the swift reply.

I am in the interesting position of having to learn Nav2009 at high speed and become the Nav partner you speak of.

I found the table number, field number, and field caption for these but alas I can’t make the change even with my Super user permissions.

I have since worked out that I can’t make the renaming change I spoke of because we are using entity cards from the standard build so this change request would cost quite a lot. I will be attending some Navision training courses soon so hopefully they will propel my learning forward.

Thanks for taking the time to respons Erik - it is appreciated

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

One of the reason why we ask all new members to write a short introduction in the Introduction forum, it’s always nice to know who you’re helping and what their expectations are. Otherwise we never know if a new member is a partner, end-user, developer, consultant or a student who just want to learn NAV to improve his “value”…

But even if you only have access the a normal license with the table designer, then you should be able to rename the field caption (not the field name). Unless the table object you’re using is protected in some other way. I’ll suggest that you read the “How to become a great…” blog posts in my blog (see link in my signature blow). It’s seen as an introduction to NAV for non-NAV developers.