blank ( '' ) item code or no.

hi, i just like to ask what are the possiblities why our client is having a blank ( ’ ’ ) item code? This is the first record in the item card. At first i suspected that the item was accidentally renamed as a blank code but when I try to duplicate it Navision does not allow me to save if i rename a certain item with a blank code. have you ever encounter this?

please advise. many many thanks.

Hi Yeryk,

Somehow a user have inserted an item with Code = ’ ’ (blank).

As long as the existing item with Code = ’ ’ is still there, You will not be allowed to rename another item to that value.
(You must look at the blank as just another value)

It is possible to prevent this from happening, by setting a property called “NotBlank” to TRUE in the table-definition, on the Code-field.
(This calls for a developer-license though.)
But it is not recommended to change standard NAV, as it will make future updates more complex and expensive.

I have actually run into this a few times here and there, as to why I’m not sure. I changed the properties of the “No.” field on the item table to Not Blank = Yes and haven’t had it happen since. The only draw back is that when creating a new item you have to select the number series manaully, you cant simply F3 and move out of the No. field.

hi. thanks for the advise. all we want to do is to rename the item but Navision does not allowed us to rename it to ‘Obsolete Item’. The error is 'You cannot rename a record because the old value of the field is below ’ ', Field: No., Table: Item

please advise. many thanks

You need to contact a developer with access to Solution Developer licecnce who will be able to help you.

My memory tells me that until you correct this the adjust cost item entry routine infinitely loops, or does something strange, so get it resolved quickly!

The site I encountered it on they had an item writer tool integrated with Navision whereby they could export item numbers, descriptions etc and edit the data and import it back in. Lets just say the import validity was not perfect and one day they created a blank item!

There are some ways to have emtpy items. One frequently experienced is if you import via dataport and the last record in the import-file is at blank line. Solution is to handle the import manually - and check the data imported before insertion/modification…

To delete a blank item you have to make a report or the like, get the item and delete it without the TRUE-parameter.

many thanks to all or your reply. problem already sorted. cheers guy!

you can delete it by using F4, as long as all related tables in affects are clear. example, item journal line, purchase line, sales line, production bom line, and may be some more.

that’s how i always do on client, when they are accidentally fill blank (’’) item code.

Yes you can.

BUT - if you have deleted [old and “legal”] items, all related Ledger Entries had their ItemNo’s changed to - blank!
Haven’t tried it, but it you delete an item with blank id, you’ll probably delete all those entries as well. And perhaps that is not a good idea…