Expiry Date

I am working on 3.6 Version-IN. There is a problem with reg to Expiry Date. The Expiry date assigned to an Item during output posting(Using Item tracking Feature.), is not being retained during sales process. I am compelled to assign the Expiry date once again during the posting of Sales Order(while I expect the expiry date assigned during output posting, is retained). has anybody faced similar problem? Kashinath

Hi Kashinath I believe the filling in the expiry date formula field on the item card, will tell the program when items expire when selling. The calculation only starts counting when item are received or finished from production. However you also flag the expiry calculation on the item tracking card. Where have you set your expiration calculations and in what manner?

There are two dates expiration and warranty. 1) Expiration date; The date my inventory is updated whether from purchase or from production output. This expiration is calculated. If I had entered expiration in Item card as 1M and I am posting my inventory on 24/10/03, that means expiration date is 24/11/03. Now if I try to post a sales order with this serial number any day after 24/10/03, system won’t allow me to do that. As per system the date sales order is getting posting if that date is beyond the expiration date, system stops from posting the sales order. 2) Warranty; This date is calculated from the date of posting. If Warranty formula says 2M and I am increasing my inventory on 24/10/03, this will give me warranty date as 24/12/03. This will have no affect when I am selling the same item ,as system will calculate 2 months from the date of posting of sales order. If I am posting my sales order on 30/10/03, than warranty date will be 30/12/03. These values can be seen in posted sales invoice. Rgs

Hi, Precisely, I expect the system to assign the same expiry date at the time of sale, as the one which would have been assigned to it during its Manufacturing(While Out-Put is being posted). However, it is not happening inspite of putting a check mark in the 'Strict Expiration Posting’Field of Item tracking Code. Do you suspect any other setting missing?.. Regards. Kasinath

Hi Kashinath I have had a look at this and it does not matter if the item is manufactured or purchased from what I can see. The inbound transaction correctly calculates the expiry date, but when you get to the sales order and select the serial/lot to use the expiration date field is blank - This field contains the expiration date of the item tracking line. It simply does not bring it forward. I do not have manually enter expiry date on and I have tried strict serial/lot expiration on and off, even if I manually enter the expiry date on the inbound transaction it does not use it for the outbound transaction. I am afraid I think you have found an issue with the processing that may need to be reported back to Navision - unless I am also missing a flag - but I would guess it simply is not copying the expiry date from the item tracking line as it should do. [:(!]

Steven, I think there already is a service reques for this. Gunther

Hi nav nav I did search first on the public site, but could find nothing - do you have a reference?

Sorry, it was more related to transfers… If you are using item tracking and manually entering the expiry dates into the system, then the system expects you to do this at all points. I am assuming that you are manually entering expiry dates, because if you were using “Strict expiration calculation” then you would only need to enter the expiry date at the time of purchasing the item/s. Maybe you shouldn’t have to enter the expiry date at every stage, but the system allows you this flexibility and if you are transferring long distance and between different countries, then you could have different expiry dates and as such you would need to enter these in at each stage of the process. If this is not the case with your client, then you will need to customize this area a little bit and allow more automatic application of the expiry date, so that when the transfer is posted as a shipment, the expiry date will be the same when you post it as received.

Or this one, closed without any comment … Create a purchase order. Assign the lot number and the expiration date. Post the receive Create a sale order. Choose the lot number, on the line is reported the lot number but not the expiration date I associated to the lot number I saw that there is already the request FR-621-830-KJAT. I just write to inform you that I did this test in 3.70 Beta2 and there is still the same problem. Do you think you will correct it?

Hi All, Thanks to all those who have participated in the discussion. Though there exists different scenerios, I feel, the expiry date is basically related to the charactertic of a material like self life. It is more relevant in case of chemicals and pharmaceuticals. As such, the period should start from the date of manufacturing irrespective of whether the material(item) is transfered or sold. Even if the materal is simply kept in a warehouse, the expiry date will have its impact. As such, once you assign an expiry date to a Material, normally it is not expected to change it. Ofcouse, the exception could be the case where in the expiry date is wrongly assigned and a provision should exist to assign the correct expiry date. Thanks once again. I could get the information which I lacked at the time of posting this question. Kashinath