Dimension Control

I was wondering if anyone has ever developed a solution whereby the dimension control on GL accounts is an either or scenario. IE One of 2 dimensions must be populated, it does not matter which one.

Any help would be most appreciated

Andrew

If it doesn’t matter which one, why not combine all of the values under one dimension code? You could use a prefix to denote what type of dimension it is. A1, A2, B1, B2, etc. You can then set it up as a mandatory field. No development required…well maybe for back filling data.

One of standart options is Code Mandatory - but then it depends fully on user which Dim value to choose, no way to set up a list of allowed subset of values from all defined ones. There is another option - Same Code, but this, in turn, limits the entry to one single preset Dim value.

The case you are asking for is not a rare requirement - but it is hard to solve, as Defaults are defined for Table level, not Journal/Document level. (and initial purpose was entering default values to speed up data entry, NOT checking any rules which value is applicable in any given situation, hence the name Default Dims)

Simply adding a mod, which uses a list (subset) of values instead of one single value --as in SameCode option-- can easily lead to situation, that the other existing Dim values, not included in the subset, will be NEVER possible to choose.

The easy way is setting CodeMandatory and issue instructions to your users which Dim values in which case are applicable… Personally I have always preferred less restrictive code and haven’t tried to treat users as complete brainless beings…

I have never tried to do it, but part of me also wonders if there is some way to do it with the Dimension Combination and Dimension Priority features.

Matt, I wondered, too, then once tried - no, with these features the scenario in question is impossible…