Developer License Files Access

Hi

My question is simple aside from having to use developers license files from resellers/partners does anybody know via Microsoft the legitimate way of accessing License file as a free lance developer. I assumed that you could register yourself as a partner but not to actually sell NAV. Appreciate if someone has done this exercise to please provide details on how to achieve this.

I tried calling my local Microsoft Support which for Australia is redirected to Philippines, but it seems they did not understand what I was asking for and I got bounced around from one person to another without any success in answering my question properly.

thanks

Hi Vic,

You have to become a NAV partner, to get access to a development license.

And it may be one of the most asked questions here on DUG over the years. But here is a thread where the information is still up-to-date:

[View:~/nav/f/developers/73640/how-to-get-a-development-license:320:50]

Yes, it is possible to get your own license as a Dynamics NAV freelancer. You need to have an official registered company, including VAT number. But then you can follow the next procedure:

First of all: enroll your company as a registered partner in the Microsoft Partner Program.

When registered as partner, go this page: partner.microsoft.com/…/microsoft-dynamics-erp
Here is a paragraph ‘Additional Resource’. The text does only mention SPA for VAR’s or PRA for ISV’s. Click on the partner registration agreement (PRA).

When looking at the PRA, you can see that the PRA is for partners who are not a VAR. In the PRA there is a category Consultant that you can choose, amongst ISV, hosting partner CPLS or system integrator.

The Consultant is described as ‘Means a Microsoft partner with specific expertise on Microsoft Dynamics Solutions as shown by its certifications, who charges a fee for providing advice or services to Microsoft Dynamics customers or SPA partners’.

You can also download the PRA directly from here (pick the correct service center): www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx.

Ah yes, that option is also available.

A third option would be to become a partner via one of the Master VAR’s.

I have just create a wiki page on this subject:

[View:~/nav/w/navdev/199/how-to-get-a-development-license:320:50]

Will add your reply [mention:5c9cb1234ea24fe88a9f3664f096d8bc:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] here too. [:)]

Hi Erik,

yeah I kinda figured this was a popular topic with free lancers. I get the option that I need to be a partner but i was not able to get thru to the support crew in Philipines that I wanted to only be a partner on a non sell basis. Anyway I’ve received a few replies which may steer me in the right direction with Microsoft.

Thanks Vic

Hi Arend-Jan

Thankyou for the information I am a registered company with VAT.Don’t know why the people at Microsoft could not explain this to me they are hopeless. Anyway now I got a better idea of whats required. By the way did you go via this path and is it costly. I’ve spoken with one of my customers and they asked the question how much for developers license to be included within their current license pack and were told it would cost roughly 45,000 AUD which is bloody expensive I thought. I’m hoping what you have described is a lot cheaper path than that.

Thanks Vic

Also keep in mind that qualifying for these programs is not a “one time” thing. These licenses expire annually and you must remain in good standing to receive the new one. That means continuing to meet the often changing qualifications.

Yeah i get that up until now I’ve managed to survive on licenses I’ve acquired over time from the many resellers I’ve worked with and clients who have their own development license in their package.Its only becoming a problem with NAV 2016 I don’t have a dev license for this at present and I have a client who wants to start on NAV 2016 without spending a fortune using a reseller to do the implementation, but I guess i will have to decline unless I can get what I’m after.
I’ve been in the game for 20 odd years now so starting to think about retirement, so if it does not work out for me then I’m not overly fussed about it.

Hi Vic
There is no fee to get a Dynamics partner registration agreement (PRA). I have registered my company via this method.
Except that you have to print and sign and snail-mail it to Microsoft, then it’s quite easy.
Think it took me about 10 minutes, from I got the confirmation email back from Microsoft (after 2-3 weeks waiting), till I could download my own development license.

But you need re-enroll periodically.

Thanks Erik yeah I downloaded the PRA document and I’m going to send to Microsoft so hopefully like you I should not have to much grief.Once I get the go ahead is it fairly simple to login and access the section regards the developer licenses.
I assume the developer licenses are for the generic object range hence whats the deal with the 50000 range as this is normally a function of what the customer has paid for does the developers license allow full access within the 50000 range independent of what the customer has paid for?Appreciate if you can educate me on all this.

Hi Vic,
With the developer license you can create all objects in the 50000-99999 range.

But in the order for these objects to be used by the customer, then they need to have their partner add the same objects numbers you are using to the their license.

Ok thanks Erik yes I understand the Client only has access to what they paid for just wanted to make sure the Dev license covers the entire range irrespective. Ok all good I shall send off my application and hopefully it will all be good.

Exactly. You can do it all, but your client need to have the objects you use added to their license, before they can test it in their system.