Data Migration

I’m trying to import a Chart of Account form one company (A) to another company of a different database (B) using data migration tool.

This is all I do:

1. Send the COA of Company A to Excel (using the send to excel icon in tool bar)
  2. Save as XML spreadsheet
  3. Open up the B company
  4. Administration à Application Setup à Data Migration
  5. Fill in the Table ID with 15 and Form ID with 16
  6. Functions à Import from XML
  7. select the saved XML spreadsheet of company A
  8. An I get an error for C/AL programmers like this “The call to member selectNodes failed. Msxml6.dll returned the following msg. Expression must evaluate to a node-set.

Is this because I’m doing a wrong thing?

Please advice me with a right method.

Why not just copy and paste?

Alex is right, even though the two companies are in different databases you should just be able to copy and paste the Chart of Accounts from one to another.

To try to answer your question, it sounds as though you have not specified the fields in the second company when you do the import. That is one possibility, but I don’t think it gives the error message you have provided.

I have seen that error message and I think it happens when you have edited the Excel spreadsheet and accidentally removed the XML Mapping.

When you use the Export to Excel feature of the Data Migration form, NAV creates an XML Schema that describes the fields in the table. It then creates an Excel spreadsheet and adds the XML Schema as a Data Map (note that not all versions of Excel support XML Maps, so you may get unstuck at this point). If you are using Excel 2007, the data will be formatted as a list (with alternating blue stripes) and if you right click on to one of the fields, you should be able to see XML Source as a menu option - this will show which field the column in the table is mapped to.

When you try to import, the import routine uses the XML Document Object Model automation to read the XML file and it searches for a specific node within the XML document. If it cannot find the node (First search of for a set of records for the table you are importing) it will give an error similar to that which you received.

Make sure you have not messed about with the Excel sheet and that it is correctly mapped to an XML Schema before trying the import.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks very much for the quick and clear explanation.

I was working on NAV 6.0 and 5.0 databases in local and remote computer sepectively and there was a difficulty in copying. Anyway this helps me solve the problem. Thanks guys