Data Migration vs Data Port?

Hi,

What’s the diference between Data Migration Tool and Data port used in NAV?

Are these used to achive same thing? If Yes,

In what practical scenarios we can pick each one of them seperately?

Thanks!

Result is same. Normally it depends on organization and individual as well what they use. I use Data Migration to create Data Templates as they give length allowed etc for the field and look wise r good to send it to customer. But to import I use data port as sometimes code is required. Using Data Migration u can export or import multiple tables at one time. Using dataport this can be done but migration tool is quite easy.

As I never used Migration tool to import so I don’t know whether it does the data validation or not, but basic validation it must be doing for e…g. in date field u cannot fill in Integer.

Good to hear from u after sometime…

1. What document in partnersource gives the training on Data migration Tool?

2. So if i got you right, “we can transfer Customer information from 3.7 NAV database to a 2009 customer information using data migration Tool” ?

Thanks a lot!

1. I never saw any document for this. I did by hit and trial, infact I think most of the guys would have done the same. [:D] On serious note I think MS must have released some document. You will have to check on download section or wait for some other forum user to update with the info.

2. Using migration tool no, it came in 5.0 and is present then on. U will have to use data ports to export data from 3.7.