Cross-order (Cross-Work) sorting for (cluster-)picking?

Hello everybody,

first, I have to apologize for my bad english and hope you are able to understand my question/problem.

I (40, logistics employee and future user of Dynamics AX) have just registered here and I hope you can help me find an answer / solution for a problem that we encountered in the introduction of our new ERP system Dynamics AX 2012.

We were informed by our service provider (which implements AX at our company) that there would be no possibility of a cross-sorting (1 customer order = 1 work in AX) for clusterpicking.

Within a work (= sales order), a sorting in ascending order of the storage location coordinate (or the sorting sequence that can be set up per storage bin) is definitely possible, so that the warehouse employee is sent through the warehouse in a route-optimized way.

For picking, several customer orders (works) are now combined into a “cluster”. Now we want that the employee does not always have to run back and forth because he has to start work over work again in the front of the warehouse (see example at the bottom)

Am I right in the assumption that the route-optimized order (within a work) is determined by SQL table / created according to the sorting order stored in AX?

If so, would it be possible with an additional table (and a corresponding link to the table, which is finally used for picking by MDE device) to obtain a consistently continuous picking path across all workplaces (for all clustered work)? (See “That´s how it should work” below)

Or does someone know a different solution?

Thank you in advance for your answers and efforts and best regards

Peter

Example

Work 1 (Sales Order1):

Item 1 (storage location 5)

Item 2 (storage location 3)

Item 3 (storage location 9)

Item 4 (storage location 2)

Work 2 (Sales Order 2):

Item 1 (storage location 7)

Item 2 (storage location 1)

Item 3 (storage location 8)

Item 4 (storage location 4)

Current situation according to our service provider (route of picking)

storage location 2 (Work 1)

storage location 3 (Work 1)

storage location 5 (Work 1)

storage location 9 (Work 1)

storage location 1 (Work 2)

storage location 4 (Work 2)

storage location 7 (Work 2)

storage location 8 (Work 2)

That’s the way it should be:

storage location 1 (Work 2)

storage location 2 (Work 1)

storage location 3 (Work 1)