client side very slow

Hi, we are in final stages of implementing the sql server 2000 version Financials 3.00 for which we have new IBM servers win2000, 1gig, 512mbram and plenty hdd. The problem is that the financials package works fine and with good speed on the server, but works very slow on any client machine, due to which some parts of the program cannot be even used as they don’t open up at all. Our inventory has around 6000 items. sqlserver.exe is taking plenty ram and server.exe of navision is also taking plenty ram, do i really need server.exe as i stopped it and used the package there was no problem at all on the server nor at the client. As we r in the final stages of implementing and with this problem i don’t know what to do, as we cannot start using it with speed for the end users. If anyone has faced such a problem or if anyone has some solution plz let me know. Regards, Vishal

Why have You installed both SQL Server Option and the native database? You don’t need to install the C/SIDE database server if You use SQL Server.

I have disabled server.exe services since i am using sql server option. I am a end user here, inhouse s/w guy in the company where it is getting implemented, have limited knowledge of the package. The guys implementing it should be taking care of this things but here in nigeria u cannot expect too much. Since our item database is too big the sales module and inventory module have also slowed down. Anything to be done to boost the speed??? Regards, Vishal

I think your item-table is not too big. 6000 items should be no problem - not with then C/Side-Datebase and not with the SQL-Server-Option. Your machine has 512 MB and one Processor? This does not sound like a server that was tailored for Navision SQL-Server-Option. That sounds more like a C/Side-Database-server (the proprietary Navision-database → server.exe, the service you have disabled). You said, that Navision works with good speed on the server but slow on your clients. Right ? How did you test that EXACTLY ? What client-machines do you use ? What kind of network ? How are the disks configured on your SQL-Server ? How many user will you have to serve ? What parts of your application do not open at all ? … You see - there are a lot of questions left open [;)]