Apache server, Perl and Navision

Hi all I’m currently experimenting with a combination of Apache Server, Perl and Navision data(extracting data through ODBC or ADO) on the Win32 platform(Windows95, Window98 And the 2000 release). If anyone would like to know about how my little project is progressing, I would be happy to share my experiences(both good or bad) with anyone who’s interested. So just drop a note on this forum, and I’ll supply information during my investigations. Has anyone else on this forum been experimenting with this combination? If yes, please place a comment or suggestion on this forum. So far, I have a Windows 98 machine running Apache server and Perl for Win32. I have established a working ODBC/ADO connection to my Navision database, and it’s possible for me to query data from the database, and display it as HTML output. The next step is to make the request dynamic, enabling a user request and return the requested data. Regards Andreas L.

Are you still using C/ODBC here? goodname

I myself have dwindled in this area a bit. I didn’t use apache, but I’ve done quite a bit of experimenting with connecting to our Navision database through the C/ODBC drivers via the ODBC module in Perl. I ran into a problem, however, that I wasn’t able to remedy. My queries to the database wouldn’t return any data. I know the connection was made, but a simple “SELECT * FROM ITEM;” wouldn’t return anything. I’m GUESSING it’s due to the old version of Navision we’re running (2.01b). I’d upgrade, if it were possible, but our database was SO customized, that upgrading would cost thousands of dollars and at least 6 months (according to the sources at Datahouse, the company that helps support our database) to accomplish. Would you supply a little more information as to what exactly you’re running currently? My original purpose was to get secure information on the web so that employees would be able to view the information they needed without having to use up a license by logging in through citrix. Michael McNeil

quote:

Originally posted by waverly: II ran into a problem, however, that I wasn’t able to remedy. My queries to the database wouldn’t return any data. I know the connection was made, but a simple “SELECT * FROM ITEM;” wouldn’t return anything. I’m GUESSING it’s due to the old version of Navision we’re running (2.01b).

I have the same problem with 2.60.B version.

My combination is the following: Server side: - Attain DB on W2K box - C/ODBC - Easysoft OOB Server Client (web server side) - Easysoft OOB client - Apache 1.3.20 - PHP IOW - a customer navigates a web site (which can be hosted somewhere out of the office), which talks (connection crypted) to Attain DB to receive/save info. Works nice, but slow. If DB+CODBC runs on semi-loaded Celeron 566 machine and has 2 routers between itself and a web server (avg. speed is 3Mb/s - test environment), it takes about 2 seconds to do a DB+connection+one query. Relatively faster for multiple queries, of course. It was quite hard to make it all run reliably at the beginning, but after a couple of hours of making workarounds to all the problems, now it runs well. Further development will be made, as this seems to be the only (maybe except for Perl+DBI) reasonable and low-cost solution to integrating web applications with Navision DB. Feel free to email, IK. D/S ELVA NSC Riga, Latvia