Workcentre and Machine centre

Hi,

I started to read the Manufacturing manuel. While reading I am getting some errors.

Please share u r thoughts to know the issues.

Could any body explain about the difference between Workcentre and Machine centre ?

I am expecting a good example to understand this one.

Let me know generally firms which Fluching method will use ?

Is it Manual or Forward or Backward.

Please let me know the practical answer

Thanks and regards

Machine Centres are elements of teh business within a Work Centre. A Work centre is a physical or non-physical division of the shop floor, and then the machine centres can be smaller elements within this. For example you have a CNC area, this is your work centre, within it you have 3 CNC machines these “can” be your machine centres, depends where you scheduling and capacity derive really for the routing creation. Alternatively the 8 people manning the machines could be considered your machine centres as these are how you actually schedule the work, although in a CNC environment it would most likely be the machines!

Work centres also have different functionality within NAV to machine centres, you can create sub-contractors, you have control over the unit cost basis of time or units, you add dimensions etc, but you do not define the default time, this is done at the machine centre level - the sub-compionent workable element.

Item flushing depends not only on the business, but the characteristics of the items and the people running the business. There is no hard and fast rule, you will always find exceptions or 50/50 splits. Most business use a mix mode approach, for example forward flushing consumables, manually flushing serialised or variable items and backward flushing the main cost driven standard usage items. It depends upon each business - ask them when they want to consume the stock, they will tell you and this drives the method

If however you are referring to the work centre and machine centre flushing this relates to the output quantity, and I do not know many businesses that want output reported at started or automatically reported at finished, most will report how many they have made and therefore have this set to manual.

Thanks Mr. Steven,

If A Work centre is a physical or non-physical division of the shop floor. Then why Navision has given some fields Unit cost , directunt cost, Overhead rate, Unit cost calculation.

Why we need to assign costs to the Physical division.

Please let me know sir……………

Not sure I understand the question, if it is one.

A work centre can be a packing area, it is on a routing, there are no machine centres within it, it is on routes and you define teh unit cost and the basis of it as time or units. Does this answer your question?

AdamRoue already had given your answer. For exemple sub-contractors have a cost.