What's missing in Dynamics AX?

Hello everyone,

I am making a small research and I have a question for AX end-users. I wanted to ask You guys about what do You think MS forgot about when making AX (regardless the version). I am talking about functionalities / improvements that could make life easier when working with AX, things that - for example - other systems already have.

It would be great to know Your opinions on the subject.

Regards,

Luke

Two issues quickly

1. There is no provision to return exact GRV number along with quantity.

2. There is no provision to refer sevice cost to Material cost while service has been received through purchase order.

Hi Luke,

I miss:

1. A usable financial consolidation tool with many additional features so that even complex corporate structures are no problem

2. A cash flow module that allows to generate easy and fast cash flow reports and forecasts

3. A budgeting module that is easy to handle

4. A better cost accounting module that is integrated with the other AX modules and allows a feedback from cost accounting to other modules

Cheers,

Ludwig

@ Ludwig - These are not missing, they are just not as good as we would like [:D] Budgeting should change in AX2012 with the Excel integration, not sure if they have incorporated this into the cash flow requirements.

@Raju - It is written by invoice, but GRV would not be critical in many industries, as for the service charge you add it as a miscellaneous charge surely to reflect the cost?

As for me and what is missing there are lots or nothing, depending upon the customer. If you put everything I wanted and made the changes I wanted you would probably not get a release out for many years. However it is ever changing and developing, so they are working on it, just not as we like at times!

Anyway for me, a proper ECN system, a graphical planning tool and one that can handle finite capacity planning, a distribution module for planning shipments, a user friendly reporting tool, finance statement reporting that is professional, landed costs in all areas, more extensive trade agreements to handle common requirements, BOGOFF etc, a service system that incorporated greater elements. I know I can get some of this as add-ons so again technically it is not “missing”.

Adam,

As i told if miscellaneous charges is more than what is your material cost for every delivery, then it becomes very important to track one by one grv. otherwise you will miss traceability of source of miscellaneous charges, as in many case we use Purchase Order for those miscellaneous charges services.

and regarding return GRV i do agree to you to some extent. But like issue return lot id, there should be something whilch would have given facility to return exact GRV#.

I find few more which are not robust in AX

1. Multiple Dimension allocation against one Purhchase Order. Specially for Service Items.

2. Budgetary Control

3. Trade agreement to handle variation of price in case vendor’s sources are different.

4 Transfer Order to handle miscellaneous charges.

Hi Adam,

Could you give the add-on or Demo Link for a distribution module for planning shipments in Axapta and NAV ?

Thanks and Regards

Nope, I do not know of one.

Hi,

As said by lally…it is true that everything cannot be incorporated in the system at once but yes there are lots of improvement that can be done … for example…we dont have an option of warranty and guarantee which is indeed a very important scope for every industry…Similarly there are a lots more… lets see the new release - ax 2012…

Regards,

Rohit

hi,

• a number of companies have required that the purchase process starts the other way round; i.e. invoicing then receiving items in the order. reason is, many times they get invoiced and actually start paying for their order, while their shipment is still in the seas. i think the customer has the right to flexibility when it comes to how they want to handle their SCM, whether they need financial update before physical update, or the other way round.

• exchange rates are expressed in the number of units specified generally for all currencies. however, it could be very challenging when some currencies are in 100s of thousands of a 100 units of the main currency for example. it would be more flexible if the user could specify the number of units to use for expressing each currency exchange rate. i hope this has been worked around in AX2012.

• the decimals rounding in AX isn’t very practical for users who would like to view, as well as post their amount fields using 4 decimals. AX always rounds the amount fields to 2 decimals upon financial posting, regardless of the Number of decimals specified for the field. in other words, we should have the option to specify round off to more than 2 decimals.

those are few concerns.

good luck with your research, i hope this helps.