Upgrade questions

Hello and Happy New Year to you all [:)] I have started the new year trying to get myself some experience regarding upgrades in Navision, and I have a few questions for you… 1. I’m doing an upgrade 3.70 DB to 4.0 SP1 and I met the same problems as Simon: http://www.mbsonline.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16123 . Does anybody know why this error accurs? 2. With backgound in the previous question… I was told that I could export the objects(Customized 3.70 sql) by opening the DB in the Native 4.00 and export it from there. I know this is not recomended so I need to ask if it is ok to do this, and what kind of problems could I be facing by doing so? 3. If I where to export the customized 3.70 sql like above, then I guess I have to export the other DB objects by that same client? 4. What is the estimated time for the Merging prosess when you do all the objects? Thank you for your time! [:)] …and I hope to get some more of it ! [;)]

2/ When I do any Navision upgrade, the absolute first step is always to bring the existing database upto the same exe version as the upgrade. I also normally have the client running the old database on the new exe for a month or so before the conversion. So I would think that what you are suggestion is a good way to go. 3/ Following from above, then basically Yes, you would now be running the 3.70 objects from a 4.00 cleints. 4/ Roughly between 2 hours and 6 months though that is not an exact figure, it can vary. [:D] If there are no mods to core code, then you can sometimes just use a merge tool to merge the objects. But there are so any variables. The biggest one is nortmally when you take over a system from someone else, and the previous developer did not follow Navision rules. They may have modifed base fields, or bypasses functionality, added options to basic option stings etc. These you will need to fix manually. Then there are pieces of functionality that for various reasons duplicate existing Navision functionality. Eg the previous consultant was not fully aware of Navision’s abilities, or just that Navision release a new featuyre that had benn earleir coded in the previous version. (this happened a lot from 2.60 to 3.70). Then you will have repots that just don’t work or make sense the next time. In every case of an upgrade, it is creitical to do (or re-do) a needs analysis fo the clinets bbusiness requirements. You can’t just upgrade everythign for upgrades sakes, since that just drags old problems into the future. If the client has already upgraded froma 2.xx version, then you also should review with them any left overs from 2.xx that really should not be there any more. Good luck.

Hi David [:)] Thank you for your answers! …but do you know what causes the error in Q1? How do I bring the old DB upto running on sp1 exe with this error comming up? Q2:Do you know of any problems after exporting the objects like this? I think I’ll need the good luck…