Upgrade Performance

Hi, When doing upgrades on databases that are between say 10gig and 25gig in size, which way do people find best to do the upgrade by (in terms of speed and performance): 1) directly on the server with local access to the database or 2) through a client connection to the database over the network. Many Thanks

As a database that size will usually take 12-24 hours to upgrade (depending on version), I try to run the whole thing on my laptop off-site and then restore the upgraded backup to the Server. Generally, my laptop is a much faster processor than the Clients Server. In general, I try the following order: 1) Database on Laptop with Client on Laptop - no network overhead, can work where ever is convenient. 2) Database on Server with Client on Server - no network overhead, usually need to be on-site for a long time 3) Database on Server with Client on Laptop - adds network overhead and need to be on-site

Thanks for that Chris, nicely broken down. Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by chrisk Generally, my laptop is a much faster processor than the Clients Server.

I want one of those!!! [:D] Sorry, I couldn’t resist… [;)]

quote:

Originally posted by nelson

quote:

Originally posted by chrisk Generally, my laptop is a much faster processor than the Clients Server.

I want one of those!!! [:D] Sorry, I couldn’t resist… [;)]

Generally, I find that the client has dedicated their slowest server to Navision [}:)], so my laptop is nothing special [;)]

Usually, the speed on the notebook harddrive is much slower than those used in Servers. Upgrading usually involves a lot of disk access and therefore processor speed may not be that critical.