SQL SERVER Runtime Edition License and Full Sql License

Hello,

Could anyone please help me on the below required information.

What is Sql Server Runtime Edition license.

If I don’t have a SQL License of any type, would i be able to run Microsoft SQL Server option for Navision. If no, then what would i need to do making the SQL Server option run.

As per the application developer’s guide -

To install a stand-alone client for SQL Server, you must install the Microsoft SQL Server

Express along with the client. This installs a local instance of SQL Server and attaches a

demonstration SQL Server database to the server. When you start the client, it

automatically opens the demonstration database.

Is that SQL Server Express available in Navision CD.

Can I use SQL Server Express edition for Production system without license.

or

Can I use SQL Server Express edition for development/testing navision system without license.

I have asked a no. of questions but if anyone could answer it, his cooperation will be highly appreciated and thanks heaps in advance.

Yes, it will be installed without asking, EVEN if you already have full version.

Yes - read in Luc’s blog more here: SQL Server 2008 Express #1: the free database engine from Microsoft

Dear Modris,

Thanks, for the information provided but could you please clear my doubts that when I try to install the SQL Server option, it only shows the installing Extended stored procedure in Nav4.0 SP1 and SP3 (do not have SP2, so don’t know about it). Even I tried it with Nav5.0 SP1 and it does not, even, provide the menu for installing the Microsoft SQL server option.

What I have found is that when we install the client then it installs the Navision SQL Client, but from where does it install the SQL Server as I could not found the setup in the Navision Installation CD.

I have tried Nav2009 as well which in its pre requisite components shows the setup and even checks the system and installs it if its not installed.

Please advice.

Thanks,

Chander

That for every poster is asked to state in his question WHICH version it is all about! [:@]

SQL-E is not present on Navision DVD, except v2009, and there it is v2008.

If you have v4 - download SQL-E from MS, it’s free. Look for SQL-E v2005, as 2008 is not officially supported to work with Navision v4.

· There is no technical differences between the runtime and full licensing versions of SQL. The runtime will do everything the full version will do. The difference is in how they are licensed and possible limitations. While the runtime price may seem attractive it is not always the most economical depending on site needs and future plans.

· The runtime license can only be used to support NAV (plus related applications on the same server)

o This means that if BI4Dynamics is run on the same SQL Server then it can share the runtime license. However if it is on a different server then it needs its own license (not another NAV runtime but a full license)

o Applications/databases not associated with NAV could not be run on the same server

· The runtime license is a named-user based license. This means you must have license for every user set up on the server.

· The runtime license cannot be moved to another application/server.

· The runtime license cannot be used if you can’t control the number of users connecting. For example: If the NAV database is accessible from a public website that allows anonymous users.

· If these restrictions are acceptable then the runtime can be a valid option.

Hello ,

Thanks alot to Babrown and Modris for sharing the information, but i still have the doubt that if I have a CD of Nav 4.0 and no sql server on my machine and i want it to configure for a production system for 15 users with SQL Option, would it install the navision with SQL Server option on my server machine. I am confused because when i choose to install the server (for navision) it only shows the navision database server and no sql server option, even SQL server option shown is showing the extended stored procedure.That’s is my main doubt.

Since Navision provides support to both sql and nativer server, so where is the option for installing the sql server. Since i could not found any setup for sql server in case of 4.0 and 5.0 so i was assuming/ thinkging that SQL Express has to be installed first by downloading from Microsoft site, once the server is installed then i can install the nav4.0 or 5.0.

Nav4.0 can run both on SQL2K and SQL2K5, and as i am not sure so i am asking does sql server gets installed automatically in case of 4.0 and 5.0.

Since the database size is more than 4GB, so i cannot use SQL Express Edition, and as per babrown’s comment and modris link provided, i come to conclusion that purchasing runtime license would not be a wise decision as we want to run websites based on sql server then we have to purchase license for them as well. So purchasing full license would be wiser, but i also have a doubt whether we have to purchase license for each of the application for full license as well or it is based on the no. of users on a server or users on no. of applications on a server.

SQL Server does not install with version 4. You must acquire and install separately.

With SQL Server you need to license the server and the clients. The number of applciations is not a factor. Once the server is licensed you may run as many appications as you wish. There are two methods for licensing SQL Server:

Server + CAL

In this method you license each SQL Server plus provide a CAL (Client Access License) for either each user or device. Whether you license by user or device depends on you situation. Consider the following scenarios:

You have 100 employees. Each employee has a computer at work plus they also have access from home. If you license by device you would need a CAL for each device (computer) for a total of 200. If you license by user then you would only need 100. Here licensing by user is the better option.

You have 300 employees. They work in 3 shifts of 100 employees each and share 100 computers. If you license by user you would need a CAL for each user for a total of 300. If you license by device then you would only need 100. Here licensing by device is the better option.

Processor

In this method you license each processor socket in the SQL Server. Processor licensing allows unlimited user/device connections so a separate CAL is not needed. A socket is a physical socket and the number of processor cores is not a factor. Processor licensing is typical in two situations:

On systems with a larger number of users it may be more economical to license using this method.

With systems were you cannot control the number of users or devices connecting. A common situation would be where the SQL Server is exposed to a public website that allows anonymous access. Here you must license for unlimited users. Which means processor licensing.