SQL 2000 & Advanced Distribution

We have just migrated our 2.5 Advanced Distribution database to SQL Server 2000. When I run the item card it is very slow. I can remove the flowfields from the item table and performance is great. Obviously I want the flowfields. Any suggestions to increase performance? The server has 4 gig ram, 4 processors, pentium III, 550 megahertz, raid 5, 3 18 gig hard drives.

One thing that allways appears to smell bad with Navision is Raid 5. Regards

Hello. First, version 2.5 was the first version in which SQL was supported; however, only SQL 7. The first thing that needs to be done is to switch to 2.60.G. I didn’t mention Attain since it doesn’t currently contain all the AD modules. /Michael

Sorry, the database is 2.6C. What’s curious is I tested the complete migration on a much smaller server and did not have the performance issues I’m having on site. For instance, it takes 30 minutes to process a pick for an order with one item. Prior to sql this process was almost instant. I will try 2.6G. Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by lcwalker: We have just migrated our 2.5 Advanced Distribution database to SQL Server 2000. When I run the item card it is very slow. I can remove the flowfields from the item table and performance is great. Obviously I want the flowfields. Any suggestions to increase performance? The server has 4 gig ram, 4 processors, pentium III, 550 megahertz, raid 5, 3 18 gig hard drives.

Check keys. Are they enabled? Is maintain SIFT option od keys enabled? Bostjan Edited by - bostjanl on 2002 Aug 06 15:28:21

Yes, the keys are enabled and all keys have maintin sift index. I have tested the item table but it did not make any difference in speed.

Wanted to follow up in case anyone is curious how we resolved the speed issues. The original migration to SQL at the client site was with SQL Standard version. We uninstalled Standard edition, installed Enterprise Edition with service pack 2 and re-ran the migration to sql. The speed is now better than Navision’s database.

Please consider upgrading your C/SIDE clients to Attain 3.01 or greater (you do not need to upgrade your application to an Attain application). Most of the work to improve performance on SQL Server has been in versions 3.01 and up - of course, the most being in 3.10A or 3.60. This type of upgrade is done quickly by the Attain client and does not require a backup/restore. Additionally, from 3.10 you have the ability to keep your SIFT indexes but make the aggregates that SQL Server maintains much smaller and therefore update operations faster. This is in contrast to 2.60 where the SIFT index is either on or off. However, by far the greatest improvement lies in the use of indexes and the application code itself. The Troubleshooting Guide released for 3.10 is a big help in tracking down the most common problems.