Speed

Can anyone explain why, when the first person logs into Navision it sometimes takes ~5 minutes? This happens at clients as well as in-house for us.

Did you install the server using the setup from the product-cd? Sometimes the cache size that is prompted as a default is too large. Try reducing the cache-size on your server. I had one installation with this problem and got it fixed that way. Let me know if it works. Richard

I do use the default cache size which is roughly 2/3 of the installed RAM. Is this a problem?

Usually 10% of the database size is enough. When the first person logs in the server recaches all the objects that and this is why the database takes awhile to connect to. Craig Bradney Project Manager - Technical Navision Solutions & Services Deloitte Growth Solutions Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu P:+61-2-9322-7796 F:+61-2-9322-7502 E:craig_bradney@deloitte.com.au

Hi Simon, 2/3 of how much RAM at all? What operating-system do you use? What else is running on your server? Did you install any software after installing the navision server? … When installing the server, it looks like there is a calculation on how much RAM is prompted as a default-value. This value often seems to be too high. So that when connecting the first user (when the cache is initialized) it looks like if the cache has not got enough free RAM left (and might have to swap??). Give it a try and reduce the cache size. Five minutes work and you know if your cache is too large… Hi Craig, 10% of the database size ? First i would look at the number of concurrent users and the applications they are running. The database-size is important, but i don’t think that there is a fix relationship between database-size and cache-size. The right cache size depends very much on the amount writing transactions in your database. Richard

There was a simular (in fact - exactly the same!) problem with the old Navision 3.04. The problem was solved in version 3.5. The problem is probably in the kernel…