Sales Shipment

hi all, My client has a scenario here.

1. the invoice number should always be in series. If we have partial shipments and the invoice be posted later then he wants that invoice to have to number series of the day the final invoice is generated.

eg: today my series is around 1001 and i got a order today. after a week of partial shipments when i finally done with the quantity and ready to post the invoice, he wants it to be 2001 which can be the series of the present day. but the inv number was 1001.

Please guide me how do i handle this.

Harsha

What no. series did you assign to the posted invoice number series in the sales & receivables setup and how did you define your no. series lines for supporting this?

Clear the value on the Posting No. field.

Hi Thomas,

The problem i am facing here is :

1. we need to ship items with out an invoice number being created. After the shipment is done once the customer comes to collect the invoice we create a invoice.

(the reason for this is they want a sequence in invoice numbers. at the end of the day if 3 invoices are done they want it as 1,2,3,4.)

the problem comes when we ship today and invoice tomorrow(say inv no. 2) and later 3 more invoices are done so the next day the immediate invoice number is 5.

after which if i invoice (2nd inv). so at the end of the day it will be (5,2,6,7).

harsha

Usually there is no invoice number generated when just shipping.

Can you check what the value in the “Postzing No.” field of the order is after posting the Shipment Note?

Hi,

To ship i need to do it from an invoice.

So i am creating a new invoice when i am shipping.

harsha

Hi Harsha,

You should work this way:

1. Create a Sales Order

2. Ship to quantities (partially in N number of times)

And if you are Invoicing at then end (Press F11, choose Third option), then the system will work as per your requirement, you need not do any changes.

Are you doing something different than this?

Hi Raj,

The problem is not partial shipment.

My guys want shipment to be independent of invoice. the reason is they want to maintain series day wise.

To elaborate: If today i have created an invoice 1001 and last invoice today was 1010. if i post 1005 tomorrow in the noon the series of invoices for the next day will be 1011, 1012…1005… which is odd. So they want the number to be given as the invoice is posted.

what they want is…for today inv from 1001…10

for tomorrow 1011…what ever number…

everything should be in a series for every day.

this is the situation.

harsha

i’m afraid i fail to understand clearly the problem description. however, i’ll try to illustrate as follow:

e.g. today = 10/1/09
you create sales inv.# 101, 102, 103. this will use a no. series for sales invoice document.
when you post, it will pick up another no. series for posted sales invoice.
also on today, you post sales inv.# 103, creates a posted sales invoice #. P.SI.421
then you post sales inv.#102 —> posted sales invoice #. P.SI.422

tomorrow = 10/2/09
you post sales inv.# 101 (that you created yesterday) —> posted sales invoice #. P.SI.423

the posted sales invoice # that you define in No. Series Line will create a sequence number and will not go back, the later day the greater the number, except you make definition per certain interval (like month, week, or else - in No. Series Line - Starting Date)

is this your condition? where does your the problem occur?

Hi Joe,

I appreciate ur reply.

now we have 3 locations in our company.

now the invoice number are as (Sr001 for showroom, Cr001 for corporate, etc)

now in my posted number are same i will not be able to differentiate between showroom invoice, corporate inv etc etc…

The problem is not only here i also need a sequence for posted shipments i need a saperate number series for each location.

eg: SRSH0001 (showroom shipment number this is used by security to cross check goods) and since we have only one number series if i post an invoice in showroom and the next in other location then number will be missing/alternating for both locations… how do i solve this.

harsha

Make the posted invoice no. as Manual. Bring Posting No. field on header and ask them to fill in before. Whatever no. they will punch in will be the no. of posted Invoice.

This is the only standard solution I know.

Make the posted invoice no. as Manual. Bring Posting No. field on header and ask them to fill in before. Whatever no. they will punch in will be the no. of posted Invoice.

On the No. Series table there is a column “Date Order” if you read the help for that field it will assign the numbers chronologically as they are posted.

Hope this help.

Ron

Can you explain why they want the invoice to represent the present day when the posting date does this? I would ask the business to justify the need to ensure there is no other solution before doing any further work.

Hi Adam,

They say they have audit problems. It seems if they 5 invoices posted today then it starts at 1001 and ends at 1005. If any invoice is shipped but invoiced after a couple of days we have a problem.

there is a problem to use the posted invoice series as invoice number cos we have 3 locations and the invoice number defines the location such as (shr001 for showroom, cr0001 for corporatre, re0001 for retail…etc)

Regards

Harsha

No there is no problem auditing the system, there is a problem with the auditors understanding the system but that is very different. Are they intending to modify the system to please the extrernal auditors or tell the auditors how it works?

The warehouse defines the location and the posting date teh date. They are the companies invoices, the number sequence can help, but to be honest the data is in the system you get it our - the invoice number is teh tag holding everything together, it does not also have to tell you everything.

Sit down with them, ask then why with examples then show how you can do the same in standard NAV. This sounds to me like a legacy requirement driving a modification in teh new system. Maybe needed, but I would sit down and talk with them prior to this.

Hi Adam,

Well i think thats exactly what i can do again…

may be try to explain them :slight_smile:

but i have another question can i have a separate shipment number series for every POS (point of sale). each pos is at various locations.

Harsha

Saying it is a problem does not mean it is a problem - you have to know WHY. So tell me WHY it is a problem, not just that it is one!

Hi Adam,

The problem, as i explained to you is that they say audit will have issues.

had a conf call with them they say that the auditor will check the invoices and if he finds gaps in them they will be questioned.

the point they are not able to understand is that the missing number will be posted in future.

they also want the shipment number for internal reference and since we can have only one series for shipment. If in x location they have issued 2 invoices, next in y we issue a invoice the next invoice issued at x will have the shipment number incremented by 2.

The issue is different locations are handled by different managers and every one wants the shipment number is series.

Harsha

Also repeating it does not make it a problem.

There is NOTHING wrong with posting 5 invoices in completely different orders to the shipments made. It is not a problem with audit, depending upon the procedures and the auditors. So tell me WHY it is a problem. Not that it IS. Do you understand the difference or is it a problem? [:D]