Record Numbering...

Has anyone ever done a modification to the list views within Navision to give a line or record number. Now I know that this is a development question and should probably be referred to my staff, but I’m looking to see if there is some way without programming this. We frequently need to know the number (count) of various things in the system such as the number of leads that came to us through a certain lead source, the number of leads in a date range, etc. Right now I just filter on what I want and copy and paste to Excel and zoom down do the last line which tells me how many records. It would be great if there was a line number or record number column so we could instantly know these counts without having to export to Excel. Your thoughts…

Do you mean something like, for example, MS Access that constantly displays the total number of records viewed? Or do you want to have an extra column where, for each record viewed, there is an increasing number? If you are refering to the first, this is a very simple development task. The hardest part would really be deciding where on the list form to place a control with the number of records… But what I really wanted to say is that this will just slow everything down. When a fair amount of records is displayed, the system will have to count them constantly. And this is exactly why Navision only recently included a vertical scroll bar on the User Interface. Of course… you could make it nice and include a small checkbox to let the user choose whether or not to perform the record counting.

It can’t be done without programming, but it’s a minor modification (<1 min. per Form - even less with copy/paste on several forms)to add a COUNT field to the bottom of the form (HorzGlue = bottom). In my experience this has very little impact on performance.

What about using a flowfield with the COUNT option?