Question about Licensing

Good Morning All,

Currently in my SMB we have NAV 2009 R2 running in production. We currently have an outside vendor who is managing the VAR License but… Hypothetically if we were to purchase our own license from MSDN to have complete control over all tables. If we are to apply this license, could we do so without affecting or damaging our current enviorment? Is this even possible to begin with? Thanks for all your help.

Jason Arias

Systems Administrator

Aden + Anais

jarias@adenandanais.com

Changing licenses will not affect your data in any way. As for control over “ALL” your tables is something a developers license can do which is very expensive and different from getting your own license.

So also have to be more clear on what’s going on - is this 3rd party hosting everything from the programs & the servers and you log in remotely? or is all the hardware & software inhouse?

A Quick call you your local solutions center can fill in all the details for you.

Thanks Savatage

A 3rd party is managing the VAR License we have so they control code, tables etc. The servers & software are all managed here on site.

A few weeks ago we tried re-loading the license and what happend was since it was a bit older, we didnt get all of our recent changes. Which we found wierd… Any thoughts?

It sounds confusing when you say it like this. I think I understand, though. You / your company does not have a VAR license. Your NAV partner has a license that they use to do development on your system. “We” do not have it or own it, the partner does.

What do you mean by this? If you purchased something that had to be added to your license, and you loaded an old copy of the license that didn’t have the newly purchased things in it, then you wouldn’t have access to them. You can always download your most up to date license from CustomerSource.

A full developer license is really expensive. Plus the time / salary to hire and train someone at your company to utilize it (which if you’re starting from the ground up takes years). I’d think about it a lot first. You’re probably talking $200,000 in licensing, salary, and company costs for the first year, but that’s just a rough estimate and my own opinion.

Thanks Matt,

I understand the developer license is expensive, I think more of the issue is that we are unhappy with our current partner. The support they provide is extremely expensive and they have an extremely long turnaround time for answers that cause us major headaches. The programmer’s here would love to have full control of all tables etc so they would have complete control. The MSDN license from microsoft seems to be about $11k, however… I’m hearing this still may not give full control. Is this true?

The NAV license on MSDN is a demo license with an expiration date. Don’t get MSDN for the NAV license.

Really? Thats interesting. This is both for the $8k and $11k version? Just wondering upon an estimate if we decide to go that route.

Minimum $40,000 for the license alone. It will depend on your partner and what the current Microsoft price sheet says.

+16% in annual maintenance. [:O]

Jason your first step should be to evaluate what the issue are that you have with your current partner, and then look at the cost to move to a new one.

Exactly. ROI on the license alone is near 265 hours. Do you have 265 hours of NAV Development work for someone at your company? And by that I mean 1000 hours because they will be learning (and correcting mistakes) as they go.