Printing BLOBs in reports

Hi there, I am totally new to Navision Financials and therefore from time to time some very stupid problem arises in my mind and I would welcome if I have someone who I can ask for its solution. The problem is that I am not a typical end user, but an employee of a company which prepares to become NSC - and I should become the very first developer. In such position it is not easy to ask someone in here without “painful” consequences: the only “official” way is to submit questions to “partners’ web”, where all NSCs can read it and think “ha ha ha they do not know SUCH a thing, that is very good for us”. So that is why I subscribed to this conference, although I know most of my postings will be boring for most of you. So here is my first question: I want to put company logo from the Company Information table (#79) to my invoice report (#206) and it does not work. What I try to do is the following: 1. I set up a Record variable (C/AL Global), with subtype Company Data (#79), for example CompData. 2. In appropriate section of the report I add the Picture Box object and set the Value field of the SourceExpr property to CompData.Picture …and in material named “C/SIDE Advanced Design Course” they say “Now the picture file will print in the report” - but it does not. Do you have any idea what could be wrong? (Please note that names of NF objects are translated from Czech version and therefore may not be exactly the same like in the English version.) P. S.: I was said that I have to “get” the appropriate record into the CompData variable before (because in the other case Navision does not know which record from the table it should take), but this I have already done in this particular object (report); not only “picture”, but also several other fields from the Company Information table are printed in the invoice header. Everything works (Company Name, Address, etc.), but BLOB field (Picture) does not.

Sorry… but this time you won’t have a smile when having no answers to your questions. :wink: Don’t worry… i won’t reply your next question as compensation. smile You first needo to get the company info record (just a myvar.get) should work… as there should just be only a record per company. But images also need that you make a calcfield to the record myvar.CALCFIELDS(image) for being showed. Regards, – Alfonso Pertierra apertierra@teleline.es Spain

And the next thing you probably will discover is that the logo, which looked fine on screen, looks plain ugly when printed out. That’s because the bitmap picture is much too course for the high resolution of the printer. Don’t feel bad about this, I believe over 90% of the Navision developers don’t know the reason, nor how to solve it. The solution is to make your bitmap the size of what it should be in the printer resolution (for example: if the logo should print 2.5 cm wide on a 600 dpi printer, your bitmap width should be 600 pixels). Then you have to save the bitmap picture with its “real world size” parameters set. Now when you display it on screen, Navision will recognize the parameters and perform a correct scaling for the display resolution. And when printed, the scaling is done again for the printer resolution. That’s the good thing, but unfortunately, not many graphic programs are capable of saving with these parameters. Believe PhotoShop is one of the few. Or… you send me a mail to get a copy of my Bitmap Resolution Convertor. This is a solution for setting the DPI for one or more bitmap files in a single pass, fully made within Navision, with nice features as preview, calculation of the picturebox size and a few things more. It should become available for free download from myNavision.net soon, it’s currently in final test at a few people. But I’ll be glad to send you (and others if interested) a copy now, just mail me. And being on the topic of graphic display, I would to get reactions from the forum if there’s interest in an universal graphic convertor that can convert almost all types of pictures (JPG, GIF, WMF, etc) into a BMP picture on the fly. I have developed this program for a customer which has a photo of each Item stored in a separate directory (are used for other purposes too), and which likes to show these photo’s when browsing through the items list. When an item is selected, the photo (a JPG or GIF file in this case) is loaded, converted and showed in the standard Navision picture box for the item. Even though it’s a separate program, there’s no visible action during the conversion - the picture is just showed instantly. Anyone interested? John

Karel, You shouldn’t be afraid that you might ask a “stupid” question. In fact, there are no stupid questions only stupid answers :slight_smile: It happenes to me about 2-3 times a week that beginners who are afraid to ask the forum send me their questions as private e-mail. This makes me believe that there are many beginners out there who’d like to ask questions but are afraid to do so. Therefore let me send a statement to all the beginners who are lurking in this forum and seeking for answers: “Don’t be afraid to ask your questions here! Even if your english is not perfect (mine isn’t either). There are more beginners out there than you think. Don’t send private e-mails with question to the “experts” in this forum. They might answer you but it will only be ONE person (you) who profits of the answer, not the dozens of other beginners who have the same problem.”!! Marcus Marcus Fabian phone: +41 79 4397872 m.fabian@thenet.ch

Well… not really… i know a few stupid questions. :slight_smile: For example: i’m trying to print a report i’ve done that shows the clients of my company… but i can’t see anything on the preview. What should i do for it? Should affect that my monitor is shut down ?? or I’m trying to connect to the navision server but allways tell me that there is no server available, and when looking behind my computer i can perfectly see the machine. Do i need having my computer connected to the server’s net for reaching it? :wink: After jokes, i must agree with you Marcus that most people prefers waiting for a question that meets their problem instead of asking themselves. Don’t be afraid… may be if you ask your questions they should be answered faster than waiting for a similar one… if all people waits for the similar question, no questions at all are done. :wink: (And don’t be afraid about English…the most important thing in the forums it’s usually showing the idea of the question, not the totally correction of the languaje used… You know: me speak bad. You understand me… me see too many Sioux films… :wink: ) Regards, – Alfonso Pertierra apertierra@teleline.es Spain