Nav 4 to Nav 5

Hello,

A client of mine has Navision 4 with fdb database which almost 52 GB by now.

He bought NAV 5 SQL licence and he wants us to convert existing system to NAV 5. I don’t have much experience on NAV but I am experienced developer and database designer.

What would be the easiest way to do this ? One way would be to backup the existing database, create MS SQL database from NAv and then restore backup version.

Will I be able to simply connect to new MS SQL database and how can I make sure all data has been transformed correctly and all reports will function afterwards ?

Thank

Remi

Why to NAV5 , and not to NAV2009 SP1?

Above is not complete upgrade, this is exactly same as previous version. In case you are going to use NAV 5 exe, then also it is not complete upgrade and you will not get the benefits of feature enhancements in your new version.

Additionally, you will have to install newer version client on all the machines.

We also have a client that previosuly was using NAV 4 and bought NAV 5 license. What we do is start a new implementation for NAV 5.0. Identified beginning balance date and do migration of data from the old version to the new one. This is somewhat tedious but a safe way i guess. Afterall, the client agrees on this process ;o)

I think instead of new implementation, you should go for Upgrade.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

If we just decide to migrate navision database to SQL will all existing features work ? I mean forms, reports etc ?

We are looking for someone who is willing to cooperate witrh us in this part.

Regards,