Multiple AOS Instances and Retail Store Connect

Using AX 2009 with AX for Retail. 2 x AOS instances, 1 x Retail Store Connect and 1 x Retail Transaction Service installed on HQ server.

We have installed two AOS instances (Dev1 and Dev2) in a development environment. Additionally we have configured 1 x store along with 3 x POS terminals in the Retail Headquarters module of the Dev2 instance. The three physical/virtual POS terminals (Dev2-1, Dev2-2, Dev2-3) share an AXRetailPOS database and the Retail Store Connect service is installed on the DB/Communication POS terminal, “Dev2-1”.

When I start the Dev2 AX instance and push the N-jobs to the “Dev2-1” POS the data that shows up in the AXRetalPOS db comes from the wrong AOS instance. The data comes from the Dev1 AX instance. I stopped the Dev1 AOS instance and took the Dev1 db ‘offline’ to see what happens. After pushing a N-job from the Dev2 instance I get this error message in the AXRetailMsg database: “Error 0: Exception: Login Failure: Microsoft Dynamics. BusinessConnectorNet.LogonFailedException: Connection wht the Application Object Server could not be established”. Eventhough I am in the Dev2 instance it seems that the N-jobs are trying to use the original installed server configuration (Dev1) instead.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Is a second RSC or RTS service needed?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi There,

I am busy installing Retail and I am running into issues with sending data down to the POS database. Please can you help me?

We have the following setup: 1 AOS, 1 HQ, 1 POS Terminal. thus we have 2 machines. The store connect is installed on the HQ and the POS Terminal. Must we configure the store connect on the POS Terminal?

We did the configuration for the store connect on HQ. When we setup the Store Connect Profiles, AOS, Database Profiles what should we setup in each?

Store Connect Profile - the Instance installed on HQ or POS Terminal?

AOS - The HQ Instance?

Database Profile - The 2 database - HQ and POS, is this correct?

Thanking you in advance

Regards,

Anisha

Hi Anisha,

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. We have been tied up learning/applying the AX POS Stock Count to take inventory at our stores. Seems to be going okay…

Did you get your issues resolved? You will need to configure the Store Connect at the POS along with the HQ. Some settings such as ‘Disable IPsec’ need to be idenitical between the POS and HQ as well as in the Retail Scheduler > Location module.

I have found the documentation that can be downloaded from Microsoft’s CustomerSource to be very helpful. In setting up AX Retail I often refer to ‘AX for Retail Deployment and Installation Guide’.

Hi,

We were able to get the connection working thanks.

Have you ever came across where large amounts of data is not process to POS? HQ registers the number of records but the data doesn’t affect the POS db.

Please share with us any tips you found in implementing the Stock count functionality in stores.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Anisha

Hi Anisha Fakir,

I have the same problem. As you solved it?. Could share the solution please.

Hi Trongnguyen,

Are you referring to the data transfer to POS? If so have a look at your profiles and make sure they connect.

Also the key is to update the ConnectString on the Message DB (Incoming Table) on the POS machine. If this is not updated, your data will not go through. We got this working last week, this week we doing something different and the data doesn’t want to go through?

@H is there a way to select specific data to send to POS, example a few Customers updated instead the full list?

We are also getting a application error when selecting retail POS, do you know how to fix this? Our error is “application cannot be initialised?”

Regards,

Anisha

Anisha,

If you use the A-1010 Customer job it will only push out the updated customers to the POS terminals. The C-1020 Convert Preactions has to run first and then the A-1010 job. We have these scheduled to run every few minutes with a batch job. You can also step through the process by going to Retail Scheduler > Periodic > Actions > Preactions. You will be able to see a list of tables that have updates waiting to be convert to Actions. On this screen you can then click on Funtions > Create Actions. The A-1010 job can then be ran after setting up the correct Distribution filters and Distribution include/exclude lists.

As far as the "application cannot be initialized’ error I see that when I do not have the correct information in the pos.exe.config file, i.e. the wrong terminal number or store number. I also will get this when I have setup and pushed an incorrect POSHardwareProfile with the N-1090 job.

thanks you are star !!! :slight_smile:

another question, have you come across this error when you log on to retail pos: “snapshot isolation transaction failed to access database”?

Anisha,

I am glad I could help. I certainly appreciate all the help that I can get from others as well.

That login error is a new one to me - and I thought I had seen them all! Snapshot Isolation is something that I read about when I was reviewing backup/restore process for SQL Server 2008R2 databases. Not sure how this would be related to a POS login.

By the way, what version of AX for Retail are you using? 2009 R1 or R2? Just curious…

this sql error is a though one to crack.

we are using r2 rtm, the one that requires hotfix rollup 6.

the customer action worked fantastic, the item action didn’t go thorugh, nothing was generated not even a record in the message db. do you know why this is happening? i did see in the preaction table the item that i was using was “link down” do you know what this means? the field “link down” is selected just for the item. my settings for customer and item actions are the same…

thanks again for all your help

We are still on R1 and I know there are differences. Maybe when we move to R2 I will get to play with the “snapshot” error.

About the only preaction items that we have the link down selected is RBOMixAndMatchTable and RBODiscountOfferTable updates. There are a couple of other tables with this enabled but we have not had any updates to them yet. The link down trigger is controlled in Retail Scheduler > Setup > Table distribution.

In our setup the CustTable is not in this table distribution list so we never see the link down checked when preactions are created for customer updates.

According to the Retail Headquarters documentation (AXR R1) “Link Down triggers actions in the linked tables based on the changes on the root table or top-level table.”

One thing I wanted to clarify: You can push the N-1010 Customer job to your POS database, correct?

we did push the n-1010 job, hq processes it successfully but pos can’t do it, i get some error about multiple ole instruction. we have 6000 customers €and addresses and i read on another fourm that r2 doesnt process large amounts of data like r1 did. im not aware of a solution for this.

in our environment we dont need all the customers only a select few and the same will go for items too a couple 200 items is required. so i have a pos system with no items.

so i should look in the table distribution for a reason why the items does not go through?

Have you got your issue taken care of? To your question above, I don’t think the table distribution is the cause of your error. Since you are in R2 I am not sure about what the resolution to the N-1010 error is.

We have been tied up trying to move from R1 to R2 but have multiple custom coding issues to deal with. I have not seen any of the errors that you describe in our R1 environment but I may have to deal with them once we are finally able to implement R2.

Dear HH,

I am facing a problem to connect Store (that is not on domain) with the HQ (on domain), when I try to connect a Store that is on domain it works fine the data goes well and everything else also goes smoothly, however, connecting a Store without a Domain gives me problem.

In a Store that has domain, I don’t even need to install the store connect, however, I know for sure that for Stores that are not on domain, Store Connect is the only solution to connect the Store & HQ, I think I am making some wrong entries in the Store Connect profile or in Database Profile.

If anyone could provide me solution for this i would be happy to oblidge.

Thanks and regards,

Hi Tariq,

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. It has been very busy around here trying to get everything ready for the holidays.

I really did not have much to offer on this question. I haven’t tried to set up terminals that are not on the same domain.

I was curious, though, if you were able to resolve your issue…

Regards,

Hank

We were finally able to resolve the multiple AOS issue and I wanted to post an update in case it might help someone else.

I found this blog about some GUID issues when restoring the same database backup to multiple side-by-side AOS instances (From PROD to DEV1 and DEV2 for example).

http://community.dynamics.com/product/ax/axtechnical/b/sukhvir/archive/2010/05/20/dynamics-ax-2009-restoring-a-backup-of-a-sql-database-to-another-domain-or-environment.aspx

Basically, it involved updating the GUID in the GlobalGUID.SysSQMSettings table in one of the DEV databases to 0’s. Once the AOS was restared for that instance a new GUID and AUC file is generated. My problem with the two instances stepping on each other was solved.

Best regards, Hank

Sorry to awake sleepy thread but i think this whole scenario relates to my situation.

Actually i am facing issue in configuring Retail in AX 2009.
The data is not replicated to POS DB.
Facing error as “HopCount exceeded maximum value”.
Can anyone help me in this.