Legacy Sales transactions (old transactions) into NAV2015

Hi,

I am using Nav2015 having changed from an old legacy accounting system.

I have the Customer/Vendors/Inventory & chart of accounts created using the rapidstart & spreadsheets from the legacy system. I have the opening balances & outstanding Invoices in journal batches & these posting ok.

But due to customer enquiries - I also have the old sales transactions(header/total details) in a spread sheet, these are Invoices/cr notes & payments that have already been posted & matched off prior to the customer opening balances now entered in NAV2015.

Is it possible to take these into Nav without affecting the current accounts? If so would anyone know the best practice steps/guide for doing this successfully?

I know normally it’s best practice not to take in historical data but at the same time I need to investigate if this is possible.

Many Thanks, Eoin

Hi

Some companies prefer to migrate some details of opening balances in NAV. You can take several approaches:

• Migrate detail using journals

• Migrate details by posting invoices

It always affects customer and G/L accounts.

You are correct that this is not “best practice”. Normally I always try to limit migration to master data, and open entries. But sometimes it is customer requirements and we need to handle it anyway.

I have solved it before in a few different ways. But it really depends on what the objective is for the migration. Is it because they need sales statistics, or just because they need to look up previous sales invoices? Or?

1. Migrate directly into “sales invoice headers” and “sales invoice lines”. These tables are not really related to the rest of the system (that’s way you can delete a “sales invoice header” record, as soon as it has been printed at least once. This works if your customer just needs to see old invoices and example use copy documents, into new order. Will not work for standard statistics as the statistics reports don’t use these tables. And it takes a lot of time to get right.

2. Create a separate set of “Historical Sales” tables. This is good, if the object is just to be able to create statistics, but you need to alter the reports to include the data. Can be quite easy way to do it, but depends on which reports are required.

And I’m sure there are many other ways.

Thanks for the welcome & replies.

The main reason for the data being needed is to have the ability to be able to run a customer account statement/enquiry & see all transactions from both the old & new systems (both matched & open transactions). Not sure if the full stock details will be needed just yet but one step at a time.

Thinking more about it, Should I just bring everything in as open journals, post them all & then do the opening balances on the customers/vendors & chart of accounts?

Then take a backup & make that the start point for new transactions in NAV2015 - Preventing the user form changing any older dates.

This is the cleanest way of performing data migration, simple move only the essential data. As far I remember, I only did a migration of historical data and it has complicated to achieve.

You can simply block posting dates to prevent the users to post any transactions in a past date.