Interface issue between D365FO DB and 3th party's DB

Hi. I have questions about interface issue between D365FO DB and 3th party’s DB in the cloud circumstance(Azure).

One of my customers wants to transfer the ERP system into the cloud, so there is some issue for it.

Because of tax declaration, there is an agent program in the ERP system. When single tax transaction in AX ERP is created,

the transaction is transferred into the 3th party’s DB by trigger. When reaction from national tax service is updated, agent program

inserts or updates record into AX database.

I already know that web API is allowed in the cloud circumstance, but it takes lots of expense. Therefore, I want to know other

1. Is it possible in Dynamics 365 for finance and operations?

2. If No1 is not possible, how about interface with other VM?

If you have any other cases, please let me know.

Hi Mr.Ray,

As you already mentioned you are aware about Web API’s already in D365…So No.1 and No.2 both are possible with Web API.

I still want to give you best possible ways for integration as follows.

1.Using Datamanagement framwork with BYOD.

2.Using Rest API/Soap API service framework.

3.You can always create your custome logic to put files in blob storage and later trigger it in Transaction creation level in Dynamics.

I always recommend point2 from above.

Thank you, Manas. I’ll check it with my colleagues. Actually I wanted to utilize established system, but it looks difficult.

Make sure you mark Answer as Validated if it suits to your requirement…

You must consider many questions before designing your architecture. For example, how quickly you need to get data to the other system (maybe it’s needed ASAP, maybe it’s sufficient to transfer data in bulk at regular basis, such every hour). What’s the expected number of requests? What should happen in case of a failure, such as when one of the systems isn’t available? And so on…

If you can process data in bulk, you may want to Data Management APIs to export and import files.

If you want to process individual transactions ASAP, the notification from F&O (when a tax transaction is created) could be implemented as a business event. For example, it could be put into a message queue and an application could read it from there and update the other system. Regarding update of F&O, utilizing OData services may be the best approach. Consider decoupling the two systems by using a message queue or something; you can easily utilize Logic Apps to read messages from the queue and call OData services through the F&O connector.

Regarding your pictures, the first one seems to suggest that you would add another database to F&O envirornment. It’s not possible. But it shouldn’t be a problem - none of the approaches I mentioned above need any extra database. But if you want, you can put a database somewhere, working in the role of a message queue. It would be more expensive, though, because you either must pay for Azure SQL or host your own VM and license your own database server.

In either case, you can’t use DB triggers in F&O database.