Importing Data

My apologies if this is wrong place to post. We are using Navision Financials 2.0, and need to figure out how to import data into the program. Specifically, from a web-based time entry program called Unanet. Unanet has a Navision format export template, but we’re not sure what to do with the resulting file, as I’m completely new to Navision. Thanks for any advice!

Hello scanlon, there are several posibilities how to get this data into Navision… I don’t know Unanet but as far as you describe the process it sounds like a plain file with the data that needs to be imported into Navision. 1) via dataport - this is an object in Navision that allows importing data - you indicate the table and the order of the fields within the table according to the order of the fields in the imported file. Within that dataport you can program certain validations and modifications to the data if needed. 2) via report/codeunit - you can program a report or codeunit to process this import but this requires more Navision specific knowledge and C/Side knowledge. Depending on your license you might be able to put the dataport together (if you have the designers license) but in any case it would be the easiest and fastest way to contact your NSC to program that additional funcionality. Saludos Nils

Nils, Thanks, that’s exactly the type of direction I needed! Patrick Scanlon

quote:

Originally posted by nilsm: Hello scanlon, there are several posibilities how to get this data into Navision… I don’t know Unanet but as far as you describe the process it sounds like a plain file with the data that needs to be imported into Navision. 1) via dataport - this is an object in Navision that allows importing data - you indicate the table and the order of the fields within the table according to the order of the fields in the imported file. Within that dataport you can program certain validations and modifications to the data if needed. 2) via report/codeunit - you can program a report or codeunit to process this import but this requires more Navision specific knowledge and C/Side knowledge. Depending on your license you might be able to put the dataport together (if you have the designers license) but in any case it would be the easiest and fastest way to contact your NSC to program that additional funcionality. Saludos Nils

If uuanet produces a report of some sort which can be exported into a text file, then you probably want to use a Navision Report object rather than a Dataport object to do the report. You MIGHT also be able to link Navision directly to your web browser (or perhaps even directly to the uuanet server itself), but that might be more trouble than it’s worth. Another possibility would be to export the data from uuanet into something like Access, Excel, etc. and then link that software package to Navision. ------- Tim Horrigan horrigan@aol.com

Tim, Thanks! Yes, the Unanet program can generate a .txt or .csv file, with some control over the formatting to make it Navision friendly. The file contains expense records that need to be imported into Navision and ultimately show up on the general ledger, etc. I’m the company’s webmaster, so I’m comfortable with the Unanet end, but I’ve been given the task of making it work on the Navision end as well, since our acconting folks are not very technically inclined.

quote:

Originally posted by horrigan: If uuanet produces a report of some sort which can be exported into a text file, then you probably want to use a Navision Report object rather than a Dataport object to do the report. You MIGHT also be able to link Navision directly to your web browser (or perhaps even directly to the uuanet server itself), but that might be more trouble than it’s worth. Another possibility would be to export the data from uuanet into something like Access, Excel, etc. and then link that software package to Navision. ------- Tim Horrigan horrigan@aol.com