FORMAT(Record, ?)

Hi all! The result of this

FORMAT(Record);

is a string like this

<Record.Field1>**,**<Record.Field2>**,**<...>

The fields are seperated by Comma. How do I have to call the FORMAT-Function to change the delimiter? I read the FORMAT-help a million times and have still no idea Any suggestions? Regards, Jörg Joerg A. Stryk Apollo-Optik, IT/ERP

If the record isn’t too long you could write it into a text-variable and then changing the delimiter with the CONVERTSTR-command. Or you could create a little program (with C or any other language) which changes characters in a textfile. This program must be executed with the SHELL-command. Stefan Weinreich Billing Analyst

Well, CONVERTSTR would do the job, but it would replace all Commata, and this must not be! Background: I want to put a record in a text-string (because i don’t want to specify the record-table/type). Now, a function shall cut out all fields and put them to text-variables (array). The problem is, that there are textfields in some records (e.g. names, description) that also contain Commata, so the cut-function would cut these fields into pieces! So, i would like to define the delimiter with a special character, e.g. # or ~ which is not used in textfields. Jörg Joerg A. Stryk Apollo-Optik, IT/ERP

Actually the help text for FORMAT says that it will convert SIMPLE datatypes. So I think you’re using an unsupported feature :slight_smile: Lars Strøm Valsted ------------------------- Why can’t programmers tell the difference between Christmas and Halloween? Because OCT(31) = DEC(25)

Jörg, if you can stand the Navision functionality, (comma!), one way to solve your dilemma would be to banish the commas from the text fields. They are often put there by pure routine, as “Acme, Inc.” instead of “Acme Inc.”. You might remove them without loosing any information. There shouldn’t be too many pure text fields in your tables, so getting away with the commas in them this way could be an easy solution. Pelle

My Navision Attain 3.10W1 uses TAB as delimiter. I wonder why yours uses comma.

We are running NF DE 2.60.D … In Attain there’s indeed a TAB-Delimiter, so I think I’m gonna wait 'till we’ve upgraded! Thanx all! Jörg Joerg A. Stryk Apollo-Optik, IT/ERP