Export fixed format flat file in NAV 2015

Hello

Customer wants to export payment journal information to flat file. we got the spec from bank of montreal, navision to create txt file with fixed format alignment. standard NAV not supporting BMO bank file format. could any one help me how to proceed further, to create a flat file in NAV 2015. which is the best method to create flat file Xmlport or report? please advice.

Shyam

Hi Shyam,

If the export is “simple”, then I would do it in an XMLport. If more complex, with lots of special “controls” etc, then I would do it from a codeunit or report. So it depends, but I always try (at least in my mind) an XMLport first.

Thanks for your reply Erik, have you worked in Data Exchange framework of NAV 2015. On Posting Exchange Definition and Posting Exchange Mapping page we can actually create custom payment files for bank. but am not able to create fixed type flat file using this functionality. please give some suggestion on this.

Shyam

Hi Shyam,

That whole “Data Exchange Framework” is still on my to-do-list! [;)]

Have you tried changing the XMLport to use Fixed or Variable formats? That brings you a flat file.

But if it’s a real flat file, that I have seen some old systems using, where you basically only have one line in the file, with a record delimiter or just fixed record length. Then you need to use a codeunit.

Thanks Erik, using codeunit i can able create flat file. but i just want to know using standard functionality of NAV can we able to create bank payment fixed format file. any way thanks for your help.

Well I actually just stumbled upon this blog post of Gunnars: http://www.dynamics.is/?p=2351. As you can see the ability to use fixed formats with the data exchange framework as added to NAV 2016.