Disappointed

I began working with Navision six years ago. Now it has finished. I am very, very, very disappointed with Navision. Navision has treated the Navi 3.5x users very badly, they has tried to force us to buy them Navision Financials, when many of us cannot spend this amount. We do not need NF, we cannot pay NF, but we cannot continue with 3.5x because they do not support us anymore. As you know blue Navi has a limit in the database size… on 31th of March, Navision do not “sell database” any more, what forces us to change our software. They do not open the database to us… we cannot continue in Navi 3.5x. I am so disappointed with Navision that I am going to change my software, but I am not going to pay NF at all. I will buy another software. So, I leave these charming group. I hope you will not be so much cheated or tricked in future. Best regards, Carlos. Carlos Adrián Martínez mailto:nvision@correo.interlink.es

Hi Carlos, I’m very sorry that you have decided to change your Navision to another product. However, some of your argumentation I disagree on. First of all, you say that Navision 3.xx have a database size limit. That is correct, and it is deeply inherited in the product, and cannot be changed without major restructuring of the program code. This limitation can only be broken by switching to Navision Financials on SQL. However, that Navision Software denies you to expand your existing database (provided it’ less that 32 Gb) I just cannot understand. The message from Navision Software is that they will not sell NEW licenses to Navision 3.xx, but EXIXTING users can still buy expansions for their exixting licenses. When that is said, I honestly beleive that the policy of stopping the sales of Navisioin 3.xx is right. The product is now around 11 years old, and the platform it was originally built for does not exist anymore (DOS and OS/2). I also think that Navision have been quite fair in supporting Navision 3.xx for 5 years after Navision Financials came out, and even giving you a conversion payback value of 80% until recently should you decide to convert to Navision Financials. I honestly don’t believe that you will get a better upgrade deal anywhere else! So, all in all I think you are being unfair to Navision, and if you want to leave Navision in favor of another product, so be it. Best regards Lars Strøm

Microsoft anounced it will not longer support Office 97 by the end of this year. Navision has been more than reasonable to support the character product this long. I used to work at CCI (now Aston Group) and it had the largest character install base in the US. Even so, with normal turnover it became increasingly hard to “backward” train programers and support people on that product. I am surprised that Navision supported it as long as it has. Financials (Attain) is more expensive. However, it is money well spent. Bill Benefiel Manager of Information Systems Overhead Door Company billb@ohdindy.com (317) 842-7444 ext 117

The windows product is competitively priced when compared to other products with the same power. It may be cheaper than learning all new software. Jim Hollcraft NCSD, NCSP, MCSE, CNE, MCP, MST aka Skater drilldot.com - Unauthorized Navision News

Hi Carlos, I think that you are getting some good advice here. It is always tough to change, especially when you don’t want to. In terms of on going support, I was quite surprised that Navision continued support for so long. I started in Navision just when version 3 was released, and since then I have seen so many suppliers simply stop support for their products. As Jim points out, there are so many advantages of staying with Navision, that you should give it serious concideration. But if you do buy a new package, why don’t you ask the manufacturer just one little question: “…are you willing to guarantee support for you product ofr eleven years…” no one will do that. If you get 2 years think yourself lucky. So maybe give Navision another chance. _________________________ David Singleton Navision Consultant since 1991 dmks22@home.com___________

Carlos, I doubt you will be able to purchase a new financials package as functional as your current navi-blue for what an upgrade to financials would cost you. What a concept. Open a sales order and see the header and lines at the same time!! Hmm–I am considering discontinuing the use of all Microsoft products because I can’t get support for my Bob program any more. Drat!!!

quote:

Originally posted by dhskier: Carlos, I doubt you will be able to purchase a new financials package as functional as your current navi-blue for what an upgrade to financials would cost you. What a concept. Open a sales order and see the header and lines at the same time!! Hmm–I am considering discontinuing the use of all Microsoft products because I can’t get support for my Bob program any more. Drat!!!

Yes Tom, I am so disillusioned that Microsoft doesn’t support Bob anymore. I’m just glad that DOS will be around forever and that 1MB of memory is all we will ever need. Bill Benefiel Manager of Information Systems Overhead Door Company billb@ohdindy.com (317) 842-7444 ext 117

Who’s talking about DOS?? I want my CP/M 3.0 back!!! 61k memory out of a total of 64k available after the OS had loaded - you can’t beat that :wink: Lars Strøm Valsted Head of Project and Analysis Columbus IT Partner A/S www.columbusitpartner.com

Hey just give me my old Commador 64 and a TV. No mouse, no harddrive. Nice big loud SSLD 5 1/4 floppy. Man it doesn’t get any better than that…except for my old Atari 2400…Astorioids…now that was a high tech game on a high tech machine (circa '79) Bill Benefiel Manager of Information Systems Overhead Door Company billb@ohdindy.com (317) 842-7444 ext 117

floppy??? what’s wrong with a tape drive now :wink: BTW. If you want to play Ateroids again, take a look at www.mame.dk. This is the ultimate nerd experience. Play all the old arcade games again on your PC. Lars Strøm Valsted Head of Project and Analysis Columbus IT Partner A/S www.columbusitpartner.com

Hey lars LOL I already have (thus proving I am indeed a nerd). I am the proud owner of MAME32. The 32 bit version runs nicely on windows9x and can even access the ROMS when in zipped format (my gosh I need a life). If you are really desparate or bored at work (never!) then you can go here to play ONLINE!!! http://navigation.helper.realnames.com/framer/1/0/default.asp?realname=Galaga&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.galaga.org&frameid=1&providerid=0&uid=17476219 Bill Benefiel Manager of Information Systems Overhead Door Company billb@ohdindy.com (317) 842-7444 ext 117

Commodore 64… bah… i will enjoy my Spectrum Sinclair +48 with it’s huge 48K RAM memory and using a tape for the bunch of games it has… :wink: (just 5 minutes of loading per game)… BTW… if you’re missing your all computers there are lots of emulator on the network (including for the Spectrum Sinclair, the C64, Amstrad and some more… and also old arcade games like asteroirds, space invaders, pacman… :)) Alfonso Pertierra (Spain)apertierra@teleline.es

Hello, As a potential new convert to the Navison World this is the kind of stuff that interests me… I was just about to post a new message asking the world what if any horror stories or bad experiences they have with “Navision Attain”… My plan is to run the system on MSSQL in both a terminal server environment and client server modes. Negative side to the Navision Story/Products are there any??? Positive side to the Navision Story/Products are there any??? Thanks Robert PS. 48k what… when I was a kid my first computer only had 4k a tape drive and a TV for the monitor. anyone remember the ATOM???

No, My first computer was a “VIC 20”. It had no RAM, it ran on candle lights, and there was no monitor. You had to guess the output and try random answers on the switches. Just like a Florida election. Tape drive? it used a 78 r/min shellac record player. It is easier now with rambus and all that. Don’t look back! Pelle Pelle

Pelle & Robert,… not all people is as old as you are… [:P] … Alfonso Pertierra (Spain)apertierra@teleline.es

I liked the DEC PDP/8 with twin 8 inch floppy disks and a teletype with a paper tape unit that I used at school. The ZX80 they got later was relegated to being used as a door wedge and later was dismantled and turned into a hot plate for a coffee cup. Sigh. Happy days. Cheers, John

Ha! Nostalia-Nostalgia! Well I hate to say that but the Commodore 64 has been my first love (sad but true!). GOSSIP-GOSSIP-GOSSIP : I do not know how many of you knows but there’s a WORLD CLASS game programmer who is a member of NOLUG. A hint : The guy wrote Hawkeye and Flimbo’s Quest on the Commodore 64 back in the 80’s. He has always been a bit a hero of mine, the guy is technically damn good, back then he was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy behind his time … ###### Tarek Demiati Freelance Navision Developer Email : tarek_demiati@ureach.com Phone : + 65 - 906 787 16