Confusion about route & operation

Hi Everyone,

Operations of the route should be linked to BOM lines. That means we have to create many virtual AX numbers & production orders, So we will get more workload.

E.g., I have a simple part, and we need to cut firstly, then drill according to the drawing for manufacturing this part. Currently, I just create AX number for this part & raw material, and this part’s BOM marked as ‘phantom’ in the upper level. Although we reduce the workload, but it seems we can’t use the actual route. Unless we create new AX number for drill stage and change ‘phantom’ to ‘pegged supply’ to generate a production order.

So, whether I understanding correctly or not?How can you get the balance point between workload and available route, merger operations in route?

You do not have to link a route to a BOM line, many do not.

Phantoms are not held in stock and are used to smooth design, the routing of these should be included in the parent.

You do not need to create an AX number for drill - you need a drill resource, but not an item.

Hi Adam,

Thanks very much for your help.

As you see, the choose ‘All’ in item code so that we do not define operations for BOM lines. But I still don’t understand. Route shows the produce process, Why we can use ‘All’?

I also do two tests, so what’s the system principle for route on the production order.

1. Add an extra operation ‘40’ into BOM line, and ‘20’ link to a ‘phantom’ BOM line. The result is that ‘40’ was added and ‘20’ went to ‘route card’ .

2. Delete the ‘20’ from the BOM line, no ‘phantom’ BOM line is linked operation number. The result is that ‘40’ was added and ‘10’ went to ‘route card’ .

The route relation links the route to the item being made - so one route can be used on multiple items. This is VERY different from linking the routing step to a BOM line.

I would not recommend using ALL - you need to define the route to a specific item. This is NOT creating items, this is assigning a route to the items you create.

The reason you have operations on route cards is because only ONE operation every has a time, the route card is to record time, so operations without them would not appear (although I believe you can configure it to make them appear depending upon your settings).

Basically if you make item A and you want to set the system up to see how it is made and how it is costed you create a route. This has steps (operations) which are performed in areas of the factory (resources). You assign this route (say route01) to Item A from the released product card. If Item X also goes through the SAME route taking the SAME time you assign route01, if it is a different route or time, you create a new route.

I am not sure what your question is anymore I am afraid! [:D]

Hi,Adam, You’re so nice. I sincerely thanks for your help and patience. Could you give me a final chance to help me the last time?[:)]

Because I’m still concerned about the below questions.

1. Whether we should add the operation numbers in BOM lines or not?

2. I have a part, it should be painted firstly, then assembled to the parent part. But this part was marked as ‘phantom’ in parent part BOM, I only want parent part production order. So how to deal with this situation? And some operations can’t be assigned to BOM line as my first above example.

You do not need to add the operation number into the BOM lines. If you do not AX will plan to have all the material at the start date, and if you start by operation number you cannot auto-flush by operation number (it would all happen at start/end).

You cannot have a phantom assembly that includes painting in my opinion. However if you want ONE order for everything you would need to to plan the route for the first sub-assembly and then continue afterwards and then operation numbers on the BOM would be more critical. The phantom is an series of parts that are blown through and used on the parent, the phantom is really a collection of items that help the design by enabling the users to create solutions with pre-built assemblies. You can do it through the route if created correctly, but frankly it is messy. If in reality you assemble it, paint it and then store it then reflect that process - if you do it as part of the process, reflect that. The phantom is a tool to help reflect it, nothing more.