C/AL Symbol Menu NAV 2016

Hi

I have just installed the new NAV 2016, and one of the new things is the C/AL Editor.

The new “Visual Studio” features are nice, but what has happened to the C/AL Symbol Menu (F5) feature, where you were able to select a function etc. and automatically get that “pasted” into the C/AL Editor when you pressed “Enter”. You can still look up the Symbol Menu, but nothing happens, when you press Enter, OK or Apply.

Do anybody know it this feature has been removed by purpose or is it just an “Ups”

I have made a clean installation and are using the 2016 developer license

Hi Claus,

The Symbol feature doesn’t work that way in the new editor.

I hope that it’s just a matter of getting used to the new intellisense featues and using them the right way.

But I do miss them too.

If you move back to the old editor (done via options) then it works just the way you’re used to.

it can help you opening standard editor

http://mohana-dynamicsnav.blogspot.in/2015/10/redesigned-cal-editor-nav2016.html

Yes great post Mohana.

The problem is that in many situations developers like me (and Claus) who have worked with NAV for years. Then we want all the improvements, but still we don’t want to change our habits when working in NAV. And the F5 symbol menu has been there since the early DOS versions! For over 25 years!

It is going to take me quite a lot of time, getting used to not using the symbol menu. Even after having worked on and off on NAV 2016 and the new editor for some months, then I still like to use the old F5. Miss it!

Thanks for you response.

I just found this on MSDN… Probably just a copy - paste from 2015, but still according to Microsoft the functionalit should still Work

Or just run the dev. enviroment with the old editor with the parameter usoldeditor [:D]

finsql.exe useoldeditor=yes

Sure Daniele, but then despite the old F5 doesn’t work as it used to, then the new editor is still better. Don’t you think?

The problem comes when working on different versions. I’m working on one NAV 2016 project now, but all my other clients run older versions (5.0-2009-2013 etc). So we will still have to use F5 for lots of years, maintaining older versions.

Yes, I definitely agree the environment in NAV 2016 is a great step ahead.

I would wait anyway until the first cumulative update is ready, it may be that MS recognizes it as bug and fixes it.

I take advantage of this topic: is there a way to define a default zoom %?

I found characters with 100% zoom too big so I reduce it but when close the object and I reopen it, the % gets back to 100.

Since NAV 2016 CU3 “F5”, it’s working again, like as last 25 years !!!

Thanks, Tested it in CU5 and working fine.

Yes it’s great to have it back F5! :slight_smile: