Bank Rec - NAV bug? Need help.

Hello Everyone,

I came across and Bank Rec issue recently, and not sure if I am doing something wrong or there is a bug in NAV 2013 R2 / NAV 2015.

Here is the link to the document with images:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lna7u0ajkxr3b5f/Bank%20Rec%20Problem.docx?dl=0

The USD is an available currency and there is a Bank Account with that currency. The problem can be easily replicated. Just start any Bank Rec of the Base Currency Bank account. Then enter an adjustment with any foreign currency with a relevant bank account, and you will see that the Bank Rec Adjustment displays incorrect amount.

I tested the issue today on NAV 2015, but the problem was same.

I understand that what I am showing is not the correct way of the entry, but I can’t understand how NAV would allow this and would show incorrect amount. I can only imagine how many people were unknowingly “forced” to post Bank Rec with an incorrect amount. Thank you.

Any ideas?

Well, I starred at your screenshots for a while and couldn’t understand HOW you could achieve that…

When entering an adjustment (or any other transaction elsewhere) for AccType=BankAcc, and BankAccount is set up to hold, say, XYZ currency, you CAN NOT enter Amount in any other currency than XYZ. As soon as you try to change the autofilled Currency field away from XYZ, you get a warning and are thrown back to the XYZ currency.

So, HOW did you get that entry where AccType= BankAcc, AccNo=TESTCAD and Currency=USD ??? (I understood that TESTCAD has LCY (blank Currency field) as it’s currency set up, in your case, CAD).

That’s how NAV is designed, although in real life your bank may accept a transfer order of EUR 1000 from an account in CAD, doing the conversions in background (and charging an additional fee for that :slight_smile: )

Hi Modris,

Thanks for your answer.

I just replicated what I have done on a freshly installed NAV 2015 - CRONUS USA.

I started a reconciliation of a USD (LCY) Bank, and on the adjustment line chose “Bal. Account No.” as a “WWB-EUR”, a EUR Bank Account. I didn’t select “Currency Code” - it came up automatically as soon as I selected “WWB-EUR”. Here is the link to the screenshot. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tg2iscqpw1bqtlt/Bank%20Rec%20Problem%202.docx?dl=0 . Thank you.

Best regards,

Tigran

Modris, did you have chance to test it?

Hi Tigran,

this is NA functionality… not shown in the default role… ? Regardless of the purpose of reconciling a bank in a different currency, you are right that there is a bug, apparently. The logic in Bank Rec. Adjustment Line should handle conflicting currencies (the adjustment must always be in the currency of the bank being reconciled). Also, the underlying posting codeunit 10120, function PostAdjustmentToGL looks a little too simple for this case.

with best regards

Jens

Thanks for confirming this, Jens.

My feeling was that this was a bug. And I am sure it would confuse people here and there who don’t know the right step when doing a Bank Rec. I will report this to Microsoft with a hope that they will fix the issue during the next hotfix release.

Hi Tigran,

I got around looking for a fix for this. As a minimum change, it would be sufficient to add the currency check that I mentioned on the “Currency Code” field in T10121:

Currency Code - OnValidate()
//OS001s os.jgl
IF “Bal. Account Type” = “Bal. Account Type”::“Bank Account” THEN BEGIN
IF BankAcc3.GET(“Bal. Account No.”) AND (BankAcc3.“Currency Code” <> ‘’)THEN
BankAcc3.TESTFIELD(“Currency Code”,“Currency Code”);
END;
IF “Account Type” = “Account Type”::“Bank Account” THEN BEGIN
IF BankAcc3.GET(“Account No.”) AND (BankAcc3.“Currency Code” <> ‘’) THEN
BankAcc3.TESTFIELD(“Currency Code”,“Currency Code”);
END;
//OS001e os.jgl
IF “Currency Code” <> ‘’ THEN BEGIN
BankRecHdr.GET(“Bank Account No.”,“Statement No.”);

This prevents the erroneous posting, you can only enter amounts in the currency of the bank (when the bank has a currency code). For true multi-currency capability, more changes would be required.

You can download a changed object here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8eVGp-nWprzSDlFZi1CQU5vdlU/view?usp=sharing

with best regards

Jens

Thanks a lot, Jens!