Axapta the final survivor? (again)

The following is a quote from an e-newsletter published by Bob Scott of Accounting Technology “…top VARs had been told to tool up for selling Axapta and not to worry about the Great Plains/Solomon lines. Not so, say the people in Fargo, who say there’s absolutely nothing to such talk. But one large VAR thinks that Microsoft is going to put a big squeeze on the small fry. He also says that Axapta is as hot as some pundits have said. Microsoft, he says, wanted Navision for Europe and really didn’t know how good Axapta is. The picture I’m getting from VARs is that Microsoft is making a big push to get major Great Plains, Solomon, and Navision VARs signed up on Axapta right now. It almost looks like a separate channel tier emerging, one for Axapta on the enterprise side, and one down on the Dynamics/Small Business Manager level.”

Hi Dave, First could you provide a full link to the article please? Second I just want to say that being the best technical product never meant that it will the best sold product also. See in US Great Plains and Navision … I think that Microsoft has its hands full getting a new product based on .NET (at least I think that is the way they are going) but it will several years before they have something to show. Trying to build a powerfull reseller network on Axapta (similar to the Navision one) it will be tough since as far as I understand Axapta is not that developed either in US or Europe … So if they will get something new in few years why rock the boat now? Plus getting good Navision programmers is tough but I understand getting Axapta ones is even tougher. I do agree on the other hand that maybe a lot of Axapta might go into a .NET system due to the similar technology. Again all this is speculation and while it may seem to us the obvious thing to do Microsoft works in misterious and, most times, unstoppable ways. [;)] Cristi

Hey Dave, I wouldn’t worry about your job for a while yet. Even if MS stopped selling Attain tomorrow, people like you and I would have a comfortble living for the next ten years. (these days a good OS2 programmer witha bit of REXX knowledge can make very good money!) But in any case, MS have bought some great products, and they will make the best of them. Logically the three products (lets not count dynamics) will start to combine features from one another. E-Enterprise seems to have the most features, Attain is the best Application, and Axapta seems to satisfy the techies. Our knowledge will not go to waste.

Hey Dave, I wouldn’t worry about your job for a while yet. Even if MS stopped selling Attain tomorrow, people like you and I would have a comfortble living for the next ten years. (these days a good OS2 programmer witha bit of REXX knowledge can make very good money!) But in any case, MS have bought some great products, and they will make the best of them. Logically the three products (lets not count dynamics) will start to combine features from one another. E-Enterprise seems to have the most features, Attain is the best Application, and Axapta seems to satisfy the techies. Our knowledge will not go to waste.

The subscription information to Bob Scott’s newletter follows. I don’t know that it is posted on a web site. ___________________________________________________________ CONSULTING INSIGHTS: PASS IT ON So if you’ve been passing this newsletter on to others in your organization, you can have them sign up (and sign off), by sending an email to the following address: join-bobscott@lyris.electronicaccountant.com Do not put any words in the message body or subject line. We publish on the first and third Mondays of each month.

Hello Dave. I must concur with the others. I don’t think either language will disappear in the short term (1-3) years. However, if you are concerned then start studying the .net stuff and in particular C# (C Sharp). On that note - if you’ve ever used MS development tools the new .NET are a huge improvement to me. /Michael

My reason for posting the published rumor is to see what reactions or information others around the world may have. My personal concern would be if the Attain product code structure disappeared quickly, rather than in an evolutionary fashion. I like evolution; I’m allergic to revolution. When you get as old as I am, you don’t easily look forward to spending another five years gaining the kind of product knowledge I feel I have about Attain. Not to say that it can’t be done, just that it gets harder to see the long term return on the investment (mostly because the long term gets shorter [;)]).