advise on Programming Microsoft® Dynamics™ NAV

Hi,

I am planning to purchase Programming Microsoft® Dynamics™ NAV . I read the summary of chapters of the book Programming Microsoft® Dynamics™ NAV what they put in website. http://www.packtpub.com/Microsoft-.NET-Dynamics-NAV-5.0-ERPNavision/107#indetail I have C/SIDE introduction training(Development 1) and Application Designer Guide. I read both books.Could u explain what this book Programming Microsoft® Dynamics™ NAV contains extra knowledge when compared with those books “C/SIDE introduction training(Development 1)” and “Application Designer Guide.” If any body seen that book already, Please explain what it contain more . How it helpful when compared with these books” C/SIDE introduction training(Development 1) and Application Designer Guide”. I will be very grateful if u give as many suggestions on this issue……………

Thanks and regards

Hi Experts,

I have been waiting for u r valuable suggestions on this Book.

So throw some light to know about this book.

please…

thanks ain advance

Experts,

Where r u ? Throw some suggestions…

thanks and regards

You could buy the book and give us a review

but really, the book is not out yet, so we arn’t sure. how it differs but David Studebaker is well known in the community, and very knowledgeable on Navision programming. at this point, looking at some of your recent post, I believe you would benefit from the book. I plan on buying for myself, I am not a developer just an ned user, but I believe the more I know about Navision, the better I can evaluation things for my company.

Hi,

I have not came across the book “Programming Microsoft® Dynamics™ NAV”, yet but the c/side documentation that comes along with the Navision installation are good enough. They have made a lot of revisions to the pdf manual, and it seems to get better and better. I think to pick C/SIDE development up, the standard documentation is sufficient. It is also complete with exercises and examples.

The application designer’s guide that comes with the product CD is already a very good resource to learn the development environment in Navision. Try reading that and you should have no problem understanding the ins and outs of NAV development.

Thank u every body,

But i would like to know about this book. How it is helpful to freshers to understand navision structure.

thanks

Like it has been said before, the book is not out yet, so no one can really tell you details on it. except those that have reviewed the book for the author

Thanks to every body,

I need some more suggestions about this book ,if any body seen this book.

thanks and regards

Hi,

there is no point in asking about a opinion about an unpublished book.

Please control this page regulary (http://www.packtpub.com/Microsoft-.NET-Dynamics-NAV-5.0-ERP-Navision/book/mid/040907fy0afq) and when the status of the book changes to published/avaliable for purchase/something like this I am sure we are a whole bunch that will have an opinion of this book in a couple of week.

Best Regards

Well you could ask the author of the book David Studebaker, he has been a member and a moderator of this site for many years.

You can read his announcement about the book here: http://dynamicsuser.net/forums/t/20247.aspx

And you can also ask him questions about it the same place.

I appreciate the interest in my book. I’m sorry I didn’t respond earlier, but I’ve been focused on the last pass of editing. The book should be published in the next week or so. Until then, the best set of information about it is on the publisher’s web site, http://www.packtpub.com/Microsoft-.NET-Dynamics-NAV-5.0-ERP-Navision/book. On that web site is a link to download a pdf of Chapter 1. If you like Chapter 1 and find it useful, you’ll probably find the book useful. And, conversely, if you don’t like Chapter 1…

My goal in writing this book was to provide in written form the type of information that I provided as manager and teacher and senior developer to a number of people my business hired and trained to be NAV (Navision) developers. All were already experienced business application developers, but took several months to become fully productive and independent Navision developers. The book attempts to take the role of “the experienced mentor at your elbow” as you learn about C/SIDE and C/AL. My first aim is to allow a developer new to C/AL to become productive in (hopefully) half the time it would take without the book. I’ve tried to include a lot of information that took me a long time to learn. I also want to credit the technical reviewers with providing many excellent suggestions for improving what I wrote originally.

If you already have multiple years experience in developing with C/AL, you will find this book less valuable. But there are still useful sections and reference material. Some of the reference material would only be available otherwise if you were to gather it yourself from a combination of the ADG, the Help files, other Microsoft publications and historical archives. A small amount of the reference material was developed by writing test code to identify just how selected C/AL features behave in various circumstances. You could do that yourself but you should weigh the value of your time versus the price of the book. The book presumes that you have access to at least the Application Developer’s Guide and a copy of the Cronus demonstration development system. Ideally you will also have a Developer’s license.

The book does not repeat material that is clearly covered in the ADG, but complements it. The book is intended to be primarily tutorial and secondarily a reference. The Microsoft publications seem to me to be primarily reference and secondarily tutorial. Even if you have a copy of the Microsoft NAV Development training manuals, I believe you will find this book very useful.

During the development of the book I was able to refer to all the current publically available information. My firm is a Certified Microsoft Partner and I am an Microsoft Certified Trainer (see bio at PACKT for more personal info). Plus I have been working with C/AL since 1996 and am an accumulator of all kinds of things. From my own archives, I was able to refer to copies of Navision going back to V1.1 and documentation and Help files that have been published over the last decade. Because some information that was previously published (and is no longer) still applies to the product, I was able to bring together in one place material that is otherwise difficult to access. I hope you, my peers in the NAV community, will find the result of value.

If you’re interested, for a very short time there is a 20% pre-publication discount available on the publisher’s web site.

The book “Programming Microsoft Dynamics NAV” was released to the public on 10/22/07. I hope you find it useful and, at least occasionally, interesting.

Hi there,

I have read and reviewed this book. You can read my full review at http://gaspodethewonderdog.blogspot.com/2007/12/book-review-programming-microsoft.html

This is currently the only book that covers programming Microsoft Dynamics NAV and that for most people will be a good-enough reason to buy it.There is enough in this book to meet the needs of NAV-newbies and seasoned NAV developers too. Overall this is a good book, but it could have been a lot better. Whilst David is clearly a very experienced NAV developer, he is not a great writer, so do not expect an easy read. Some explanations are long-winded and prone to tangential wanderings.

David has done a great job in completing this book and has obviously invested a lot of time for what must be a tiny market. If you work with NAV you should buy this book.

The only Nav programming book in the market. I just got myself a copy and haven’t finish reading it. If this book was released few years earlier, I think my learning on Navision will be a lot easier. I think beginners will benefits more from this book than experienced developers. Experienced programmer should already know most of the topics in the book, but still can get some tips and trick from the book.

If you are not willing to invest on the book, the Application Designer Guide can be a good start. I also learned my Navision from the Application Designer Guide because that time I have no choice.

I have read this book!:slight_smile: Its very useful! Hand in hand with ADG…:slight_smile: