when performing a cumulative update how do i retain my customization

I have recently attempted to apply the Cumulative updates it errors out saying cannot delete custom field as it has data in it, the thing is I had selected merge(existing <-new) not replace i disabled prevent data loss from table changes and it ran but all my custom field were gone.

is there a way to keep my dev work and update the system?

Hi James,

To merge changes in a Cumulative Update object into existing, customized objects, you would typically do this with any of the common text compare/merge tools available (Merge Tool, Beyond Compare, etc.), outside of the NAV development environment.

The first requirement of that process would be that you have a license that allows you to import and export the target objects in a text file format, as opposed to the binary fob object format. The next step you’d want to take would be to identify the parts of each of the objects in the CU that have actually changed since the base release in your custom database. Then you’d merge those changed elements into your custom objects.

It’s a bit like doing a mini-upgrade.

Hi James,

George is right. Using a revision control system helps… When dealing with NAV2013 and later, it is practically required IMO. Unfortunately there is not really an out of the box solution available. Object Manager Advanced is mentioned to be good (haven’t tested myself). I am using a mixture of TortoiseHg and TorteiseSVN with some cmd files. It’s very effective, but iron-clad discipline is a must.

with best regards

Jens

Wow that sounds painful :frowning: , well we have the full development license would that work?

The next step you’d want to take would be to identify the parts of each of the objects in the CU that have actually changed since the base release in your custom database” would that not just be anything that says modified?

Is there anywhere i could find a guide or a step by step on the process?

Regards,

You could also read up on the new merge-cmdlets Microsoft has released: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/archive/2014/10/03/merging-application-objects-using-windows-powershell-in-microsoft-dynamics-nav-2015.aspx They work on a text basis, so having a developer license is good. They also should workwith earlier releases, but I would recommend to use the latest available CMDlets.

The point is it’s a PITA learning these merges, when you’re used to it (and have the infrastructure set up) it’s bearable (but annoying nevertheless). But you get a new tool for source code management, and it helps for certain tasks (maintaining the source of an AddOn, for example).

with best regards

Jens

Thanks very Much, I see those cmdlets are available after the upgrade 9, we are still attempting to do 5.

would this work?

http://saurav-nav.blogspot.com/2012/11/nav-2013-upgrade-part-i.html

Hi James,

The link to the blog post you cited offers a good bit of general information about the process of upgrading from one version to another, and a good bit of detail related to upgrading to 2013. If you’re applying a cumulative update to version 5, some of the general upgrade information may be helpful, but none of the 2013 detail will be of much use.

You’ve already seen that trying to merge the CU objects into your custom objects using Object Designer doesn’t produce the desired results. You’ll probably get different opinions about the other ‘automated’ object merge tools but, from my experience, you can’t beat the level of control offered by some of the more common text compare/merge utilities. Abraxas Merge, Beyond Compare, are just a couple of examples. If you feel comfortable picking up a tool like this and getting your hands dirty, by all means, go for it. On the other hand, if that seems a bit of a reach just now, then maybe you’d want to consider hiring out this work?

Just a thought …