Running report background

Hi Dynamics people,

I have a report that takes about five minutes, in this time user can do nothing, the question is… can a report be runned in background?

[^o)]

Is it a printing report or a processing only? Start the user the preview or printing?Rene

Hi Rega, it’s a printing report and the user just use the preview because there are many pages, but you gave me an idea… if processing reports run in background, I could use one that fills an Excel file and displays it when finish ¿?

Preview is always running in “modally mode”.

but your idea sounds good:

->But I am not sure about the Excel buffer is also running modally… maybe you have to change the code.

->Or you can create just a csv file and running in background.[I]

->or you create a Reporting services report and running in browser [:P]

regards,

Rene

One of the problems of Navision isn’t being multithreaded so one report will lock the entire client. If you don’t want users to wait for the report you must draw report outside of Navision (Reporting Services, etc) or using night jobs to process data and quickly display data to users.

I just open another client and ahve two running at the same time - one the report - one so I’m not just sitting & waiting. [H]

True, thats also a possible solution

Run it also from C/AL likenavision://client/run?database=c:%5Cprogram%20files%5Cmicrosoft%20dynamics%20nav%5Ccside%20client%5Cdatabase.fdb%26company=CRONUS%20AG%26target=Report%20101%26view=SORTING(Field1)%26requestform=Yes%26servertype=NAVISIONBut it needs an additional session… If it doesn’t make any difference for you if one session more is used it is really the best solution

Wow, it’s being a really interesting thread for me…

• Excel Buffer: I created another Excel Automation service with more functionality, will try this way and post again :wink:
  • Running two clients or running from C/AL it’s not possible, all licenses are full :frowning:
  • Excel Services… I’ve never used and you will say yourself “what a administrator” (I know), I have to grow this way too

Thanks to all [:D]