Look up should pop up

I am sure this situation must have been faced by most of the developers. Our clients till now had been using a Foxpro system where they had a facility while Inserting any record: eg. The vendor name: When the user types in the first letter of the vendor name: A look up table pops up for the user : User keeps on typing and the system ends at the most suitable search found from the pop up. In Our Navision, We always have to click the mouse to Look-up or Drill down. Is it possible in Navision? ( Opening the Look-up/Drill down on user typing anything in that field?) Regards, DD

Hi Darmendra, When you have an (semi) “open source” solution, almost anything is possible. But this request would require work… and it’s not the navision way to do it. In Navision, you have multiple functionalities to make the data entry easier… For example, in a CRONUS database, you can type “Guild” in the “Sell To Customer No.” and it will automatically bring the value 50000 (Cust. Code for Guildford). If you don’t want to use the mouse, you can press F6 and then have something very similar than what you have in FoxPro. I suggest that you explain to your customer it is possible to develop “friendly-user” functions to make Navision react like Fox Pro, but it’s really more cost effective to learn to use Navision the way it should be used, instead of trying to change it just because “it would be nice if he could do what is old system was doing”. Regards,

Have a peek at the documentation for form::onlookup (form triggers). It overrides the standard lookup (F5/F6) and passes to the function what the user has typed in as text, returning a boolean (lookup was a success or failure). I have had some instances where this function has come in handy in implementing searches. The general method is: 1) Change what the user has typed into a filter eg. AB becomes @AB* . (The text the user has typed has been passed to the onlookup trigger). 2) Display a filtered lookup form and exit onlookup function with the runmodal result (boolean true or false) Putting most of the code into a sensible location (such as a function called Lookup() in the item table if you are searching on the item) will mean that all you have to add to the form is something like EXIT(Lookup(Text)); Its very handy in certain situations, but I would only recommend this in very exceptional circumstances precisely because of what David has said above. Regards, edd