English - Why is English is so hard to learn ?

Let’s face it - the English language is a crazy language, There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren’t invented in England or French fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren’t sweet, are meat. You cannot buy boots in Boots, you cannot buy threshers in Threshers and the Superdrug chain is a disappointment We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write but fingers don’t fing, grocers don’t groce and hammers don’t ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn’t the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices? If teachers taught, why didn’t preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? We ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which an alarm goes off by going on. English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race (which, of course, isn’t a race at all). That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible. And finally, how about when you want to shut down your computer you have to hit “START”!!! See, it’s been complicated even more by the Americans!!! [:D]

We like to do that so we can make money teaching English.

Yup, but like our language, we’re just the mongrel offspring of so many other cultures. You’re right about the Americans complicating things though - at least in England we play football with our feet, not our hands! [;)]

Talking about languages what does ‘Navision’ mean?

quote:

Originally posted by stephanie
Talking about languages what does ‘Navision’ mean?

I guess it is a spelling mistake. Originally it was NoVision.

Seeee! This is English!:). Come on ! I want a genuine answer.

As reported to me by a participant in the naming decision, it’s actually a long story & it occured during a strategy meeting in DK (a “Ting”). Allegedly, it was a combination of “navigate” and “vision”, but it sounded to me more like they got to the end of a long day and were into the Akavit and beer…

Well, actually the name was initially “Navigator” but that name was owned by Siemens, and therefore could not be used when Navision was to attack the export markets. Therefore the name was changed to Navision in all countries except Denmark (Navigator), Iceland (Fjölnir) and USA (Avista). Those names were abandoned when version 1.00 of NAvision Financials were released in favor of using that name in all countries… Denmark changed from Navigator Financials to Navision Financials with version 1.10 or 1.20. And that’s the truth :slight_smile:

Any guesses on why “ATTAIN”… Cheers

I’m sure ‘Axapta’ too has a good reason behind it.

quote:

Originally posted by rohkam
Any guesses on why “ATTAIN”… Cheers

This is from: http://www.selfknowledge.com/6727.htm

Dictionary Information: Definition Attain
Thesaurus: Attainable
Description and Meaning: Attainable Goals
   Attain (At*tain") (#), v. t.
[imp. & p. p. Attained (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Attaining.]
[Of. atteinen, atteignen, ¿tainen, OF. ateindre, ataindre, F.
 atteindre, fr. L. attingere; ad + tangere to touch, reach. See 
Tangent, and cf. Attinge, Attaint.]

1. To achieve or accomplish, that is, to reach by efforts; to gain;
 to compass; as, to attain rest. "Is he wise who hopes to attain the
 end without the means?" Abp. Tillotson.
2. To gain or obtain possession of; to acquire. [Obs. with a material
 object.] Chaucer.
3. To get at the knowledge of; to ascertain. [Obs.] "Not well
 attaining his meaning." Fuller.
4. To reach or come to, by progression or motion; to arrive
 at. "Canaan he now attains." Milton.
5. To overtake. [Obs.] Bacon.
6. To reach in excellence or degree; to equal.

Synonyms -- To Attain, Obtain, Procure. Attain always implies an 
effort toward an object. Hence it is not synonymous with obtain and 
procure, which do not necessarily imply such effort or motion. We 
procure or obtain a thing by purchase or loan, and we obtain by 
inheritance, but we do not attain it by such means.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Attain (At*tain"), v. i.

1. To come or arrive, by motion, growth, bodily exertion, or efforts 
toward a place, object, state, etc.; to reach. "If by any means they 
might attain to Phenice." Acts xxvii. 12. "Nor nearer might the dogs 
attain." Sir W. Scott. "To see your trees attain to the dignity of 
timber." Cowper. "Few boroughs had as yet attained to power such as 
this." J. R. Green.

2. To come or arrive, by an effort of mind. "Such knowledge is too 
wonderful for me; it is high, I can not attain unto it." Ps. cxxxix.6.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Attain (At*tain"), n.

Attainment. [Obs.] 

Any questions [8D] ? Andre

When I heard the name “Navition Attain” the first time my my question was “Attain what?”. No answer still now.

It wasn’t copyrighted. The same question could be posed for names of automobiles, prescription drugs, etc. Perhaps it’s just part of the marketing “branding” mantra?

Well just to add to the rumors. I have just been told by my boss who is at Stampede right now that Microsoft is officially changing the name of “Attain” to “Navision” again. So I guess they are having the same doubts as us :slight_smile: Cristi

Name & logo changes are done so that the marketing people can look busy & creative and so the commercial printers stay in business reprinting all the literature. As far as English goes, here is a plan from the European Parliament. “Having chosen English as the preferred language in the EEC, the European Parliament commissioned a feasibility study to identify potential improvements in communications between Government departments. European officials have often pointed out that English spelling is unnecessarily difficult - for example, cough, plough, rough, through and thorough. What is clearly needed is a phased program of changes to iron out these anomalies. The programme would, of course, be administered by a committee staff at top level by participating nations. In the first year, for example, the committee would suggest using ‘s’ instead of the soft ‘c’. Sertainly, sivil servants in all sities would resieve this news with joy. Then the hard ‘c’ could be replaced by ‘k’ sinse both letters are pronounsed alike. Not only would this klear up konfusion in the minds of klerikal workers, but typewriters kould be made with one fewer letter. There would be growing enthusiasm when in the sekond year, it kould be announsed that the troublesome ‘ph’ would henseforth be written ‘f’. This would make words like ‘fotograf’ twenty per sent shorter in print. In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reash the stage where more komplikated shanges are possible. Governments would enkourage the removal of double letters which have always been a deterent to akurate speling. We would al agre that the horible mes of silent 'e’s in the languag is disgrasful. Therefor we kould drop thes and kontinu to read and writ as though nothing had hapend. By this tim it would be four years sins the skem began and peopl would be reseptive to steps sutsh as replasing ‘th’ by ‘z’. Perhaps zen ze funktion of ‘w’ kould be taken on by ‘v’, vitsh is, after al, half a ‘w’. Shortly after zis, ze unesesary ‘o’ kould be dropd from vords kontaining ‘ou’. Similar rguments vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. Kontinuing zis proses yer after yer, ve vud eventuli hav a reli sensibl riten styl. After tventi yers zer vud be no mor trubls, difikultis and evrivun vud fin it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drems of ze Guvermnt vud finali hav kum tru.” Cheers, John

I somehow feel that the first message on English which started the discussion has been there on sapfans.com since 6 months. Any body is with me?

I somehow feel that the first message on English which started the discussion has been there on sapfans.com since 6 months. Any body is with me?

Is this topic going to prove that “Shake Spear” was wrong? Non-sense … right u all will say. This is an example how english looks when not used properly.[:D][8D][;)] Now will u clam down[?][:D]