Drop Down in Pages

Hi
I made a drop down list by using filed group and I have some questions …

1. Why if the filed group is named something other than Drop Down the drop down will show default fields not the file group?

2. What will happen if I created 2 field groups which one will be used and how to use the non-default one?

3. How to let the drop down search in different fields should they be part of primary key or what ?

4. After selecting a value from the drop down list how can I make the display value different than the one stored in the database, like to show patient Name while the patient ID is stored in database

I like to have answers for all above how it can be done in old way also in classic client and forms

Regards

1. Well, if it was named something else, how would NAV know which one to use? It wouldn’t.

2. What happens when you try? It’s pretty easy to test it out.

3. It is based on the first field of the field group.

4. You should still select the ID from the list and have a FlowField that pulls the name. Displaying different data will only confuse people.

Thanks for the Replay … so now its my turn :slight_smile:

1. ok so whats the wisdom of giving me the ability to create different filed groups with different names ?

2. when i create more than filed group with different names they will be ignored.

3. but i know theres an ability to let it search in another field, through some property called alternatefieldsearch i guess ?

4. regarding this point its nice to see customer name instead of his ID, but its good to store the ID instead of name so what im looking

for is something similar to option field type and where you can set caption and value differently how can that be accomplished ?

Ad 1/2) My guess is that MS with the ability of creating other field groups than “DropDown” have prepared themselves for future usage!