Best solution to Create Manufactured Items

Salut for all, We have one item with three UOM: Piece, Tray, and Box, but each UOM has Production BOM that differs from another; example: Piece has as ingredients: ItemX + ItemCup. Tray has as ingredients: ItemX + ItemCup + Tray + Nylon. Box has as ingredients: ItemX + ItemCup + Tray + Nylon + Box. What is the best solution to create this item so I can maintain both all UOM in one Item and the Production BOM? Thank you in advance [:)]

Dear Rana, I think you can use item UOM table. But the first thing is set UOM in the base UOM field, in your case for example, peice. Then in the item unit of measure table set tray = xxx piece, box = yyy piece. In production BOM, you can select one of them to be Production BOM UOM in the unit of measure code field. In the Purchase UOM or sales UOM, you can also set it different from base UOM of the item. Rgds, Johnson

Hi Rana, What do you mean exactly by your question

Dear Johnson, First I would like to thank you for your reply, but my problem is that each UOM of this item has additional packaging ingredients and at the same time the Production BOM works on the level of the item and not the UOM. I chose UOM Piece to be the base, Tray = 6 Pieces & Box = 12 Pieces. If I choose That this item Has Production BOM = ItemX + ItemCup, I wont get the right result if I am producing Boxes. So what is the best way to create this item?

I think you need to make some changes for that, because one item contains 3 unit of measures but not relate one another. Rgds, Johnson

It’s the same product taking for example: The item is: Orange Juice. piece(the Bottle) is the base, Tray = 6 Bottles, and the Box = 12 Bottles. in the Production BOM card I should create that this item is made of ItemJuice + ItemBottle. if I want to produce 5 Boxes of this Orange Juice The system wont remove from my stock the 5 used boxes so I will be facing inventory problems. Am I clear now? :slight_smile: Best Regards,

Dear Rana, You should define piece in the item unit of measure (base), and write in the units of measure table tray and box. But if there are such definition like what you write now, it 's sale unit of measure. That’s why Johnson said that you must define each of UOM in the item unit of measure (base) table the conversion of UOM. So, it’s clear that your BOM UOM is bottle. I wil write example for that as follows: 1. product UOM : bottle, it means : one bottle. 2. product 's BOM UOM : bottle. 3. product’s BOM UOM : tray. (alternative), it means : one tray 4. Product’s BOM UOM : box (alternative), it means : one box but system will define the conversion in the sales order. rgds, Mark

Hi Mark and Rana, this a good idea Mark if you are dealing all these UOMs with one item card … Are you thinking to have all these things in one item card? Then How are you doing the BOMs (Bill of Material) for the items ? Pls correct me if i am telling something wrong . Item 1 : bottle (BUOM = bottle ) Item 2 : tray (BUOM =bottle , UOM= tray) Item3 : box ( BUOM=bottle , UOM =tray , UOM=box) How are you handling consumption of trays or boxes … if we are not going to do them in three separate items . To have three separate BOM BOM 1= botlle (BOM Bill Of Material) BOM2 = Item1 + tray BOM3 = Item2 + box I know I will have spagetti of item cards ?? But if you are having another soultion pls don’t hesitate to tell me ?

Dear Mark, May you illustrate it more, I am not getting it right, therefore I will give you my different cases of the same item having the Bottle as Base UOM and please tell me which is the best way to open this item: one having all the UOM and the Bottle (base), or to open 3 Different Items and each one has the Base as Bottle for the first, Tray for the Second, and Box for the third? Here are the cases: Case 1: If I want the output to be 5 boxes of Orange Juice item, the Ingredients will be: 70 Bottles, 70 L of fresh Orange (item), 10 Trays (item), and 1 Box. Case 2: If I want the output to be 5 Trays of Orange Juice item, the Ingredients will be: 30 Bottles, 30 L of fresh Orange (item), and 1 Trays (item). Case 3: If I want the output to be 5 Bottles of Orange Juice item, the Ingredients will be: 5 Bottles, and 30 L of fresh Orange (item). Thanks in advance,

Dear Rana and Jouhayna, In your cases, I suggest you must create 2 items with same name but different item no. When you create an item, you must select its replenishment system either purchase or prod. order and there will be base UOM, Purchase UOM (used in PO) and sales UOM (used in SO) for the item. Base UOM will be used in the production order and it can’t be more than one UOM in the production order line unit of measure field, but other UOMs can be defined in the item UOM table depends on their usages. In your cases: juice 1 = product Base UOM juice 1 = bottle juice 2 = purchase In item’s prod. BOM line: juice 2 Prod. BOM Unit of measure of juice 2 = bottle Define in the juice 1 table UOM : 1 box = 12 bottle (case 1), 1 Liter = 1/6 bottle, 1 tray = 6 bottle (case 2) case 1, Create SO no. 1 = 5 boxes Case 2, create SO no. 2 = 5 trays Case 3, create SO no. 3 = 5 bottles The system will calculate the demand and supply quantity with bottle as an UOM in the item card either for purchase or prod. order if the sales, purchase and item UOM are same. So, finally, if you really want to separate the UOMs more detail, you must make some changes or add new fields in prod. order and prod. BOM to explain UOM conversion. Rgds, Johnson

quote:

1 box = 12 bottle (case 1), 1 Liter = 1/6 bottle, 1 tray = 6 bottle (case 2)

it’s wrong, I correct : 1 box = 14 bottle…, Rgds,

Hi Rana, I think you must create 4 items consists of juice A (product. order), juice B (purchase), tray (purchase), box (purchase). I describe more details as follows: base UOM of the items : juice A = bottle juice B = liter Tray = tray Box = box Juice A UOM table consists of : bottle = 1 box = 14 → 1 box = 14 bottle liter = 1/6 → 1 liter = 1/6 bottle tray = 6 —> 1 tray = 6 bottle in the other items (other 3), you can define also another UOM in their UOM table. In the prod BOM header, in the field UOM code = bottle In the prod. BOM lines consists of : no. desription qty UOM code 1 juice B 6 liter 2 tray 1/6 tray 3 box 1/14 box all lines will be used as the supplying items for one bottle juice A as a product. Rgds, Andreas

Dear All, thank you, Johnson, I didn’t get your idea well, so if you may explain it for me because I am working new in the manufacturing module. Andreas, I am convinced of your solution but still I can’t do it because for my company, they sell the “Juice A” depending on who is ordering it. Example: Case 1: if I want to transfer the “Juice A” to my branches I have to produce this product with UOM “Bottle” and ship them as bottles without using boxes even if each 12 Bottles → 1 Box. Case 2: if I want to sell the “Juice A” to LOCAL Customers, I have to produce this product with UOM “Tray” and ship them as Trays without using boxes even if each 2 Trays → 1 Box. Case 3: if I want to sell the “Juice A” to FOREIGN Customers, I have to produce this product with UOM “Box” and ship them as BOX at this case I will be using 12 Bottle, 2 Trays and 1 box. In your Prod. BOM Lines if I want to produce 28 Bottles the Qty of Boxes will diminish of 2 and trays of 4 but in my case if I want to transfer them to one of my branch, or sell them to local Customer, I will end up facing the same problem of having difference between the physical inventory and the system inventory for the Boxes and trays. So may you please give me another solution? :blush: Best Regards,

Dear Rana, As far as I’ve seen, your company is job order and batch production. I have to say that you must create 4 items that are juice A (product) and juice B (purchase) the others are tray and box, because you will use tray and box. Then create more than one prod. BOMs for the product but all production BOM lines consists of juice B (the primary purchase item), the other depends on need (SO). you can use version management or created another different BOM. In juice B, you set the UOMs, consists of bottle, tray & box but it must have Qty per unit of measure = 1. Juice B base UOM = bottle is bottle, juice A is bottle. What do you think ? Rgds, Andreas

Dear Andreas, I tried this solution but the problem that I faced was the following: Case 1: I made 3 Prod BOMs for one item in our case it is Juice A but in the Item card I should specify ONLY ONE Pri BOM so it didn t work. Case 2: If I want to work on the version, I noticed that ONLY ONE version works in a period of time so I can t choose which version to use. Thank you again for your help. Waiting for your reply :). Best Regards,

Dear Rana, I think you don’t have to create 4 items, just create 2 items consists of product and purchase item, in this case, both are juice. Stepwise are as follows: 1. Set the base item UOM for both = bottle, box, tray and liter. Fill the qty per UOM = 1. 2. Create 4 production BOMs that use 4 different Prod. BOM UOM codes according to the items (product & purchase). And set item prod. BOM line UOM as same as in the header. 3. By using this work around, you only need to create 2 items but 4 prod. BOM, changing UOM of both item in every time you create sales order with different UOM (tray, box, liter or bottle). alternatively changing UOM code field in the Purchase Order (PO) line according to production order component UOM field if you want only change base UOM of product item and left base UOM of purchase item as bottle, because PO will take the purchase UOM field in purchased item’s item card. To explain the contents of each UOM, you can use comment sheet for each prod. BOM. 4. By using this work around, the product or purchase item’s item ledger entries will have UOM field as same as product UOM set up/prod. BOM UOM. But, the last solution for you, making some customisation s for that or create 4 item of orange juices . G’Luck Rgds, Andreas

Dear Andeas, Sorry, but didn’t get your point specially that my problem is not with the purchase it is about multiple Production BOM for a single item with different UOM. So I am still in the same problem :frowning: Thank you in advance

Hi All, interested topic but making me lost… i was waitiing for better solution … I am thinking of solution because I am on the way of implementing something like this … Please help if any body has better soluiton Item card no. Juice ---- Juice ( purchase item) BUOM(Liter) Item card no Tray — tray ( purchase item ) BUOM(pcs) (packaging material) Item card no BOX —Box (purchase item ) BUOM(pcs) (packaging MATERIAL) item card no BOttle —Bottle (purchase item ) BUOM(pcs) (packaging MATERIAL --------------all above are purchase material and packaging material and raw materials------------------------------------------------------------- Now for production Item no PROD1-Bottle (Replnishment :production order ) (BUOM = PCS) linked to the following production bill of material No. (BOM1-BOT) consist of BOM1-BOT (UOM =PCS) Item No. UOM QTY Juice liter 1 Bottle PCs 1 Item no PROD2-Tray (Replnishment :production order ) (BUOM = Pcs) linked to the following production bill of material No. (BOM2-Tray) consist of BOM1-Tray UOM = Tray Item No. UOM QTY Juice liter 6 Bottle PCs 6 Tray Pcs 1 Item no PROD3-Box (production order ) (BUOM = Pcs) linked to the following production bill of material No. (BOM3-Box) consist of BOM1-Box UOM = Box Item No. UOM QTY Juice liter 12 Bottle PCs 12 Tray Pcs 2 Box pcs 1 due to my side the disadvantges are : point 1 : too much item cards . point 2 : at the level of return we have to know to which item no. Advantage : point 1 :You solve the problem of consmpting the raw materials and the packaging material Point 2 :knowing also that the quantity available in the stock in bottle from item Prod1-bot … in the stock in tray from item Prod2-tray… in the stock in box from Prod3-box the best if i have in standard navision the possibilty to link on itemcard to different Bill of material s Pls any suggestion to have the best solution … don’t hesitate to suggest … i will be waiting for your reply May be Steven can help us to finalize this topic … thank in advance

Dear Rana, I am not so sure but in your case, you have to create 4 items if you have 4 base UOM (except the production UOM here doesn’t change, but sales UOM changes) with the same type (i.e. juice 1, 2, 3, 4) but different base UOM because you will store some finish goods in your inventory locations with different product or finish good base UOM where here is according to your customers request. Also, you must understand that prod. BOM UOM code will not be kept as raw material inventory UOM code, but the purchase item base UOM that filled in the prod. BOM line. You will have 4 prod. BOM UOM code if you create 4 items, with the same type of purchase item. Another alternative, create a new field that explain the UOM conversion. Rgds, Mark

Dear Jouhayna, you gave me the best solution in opening multiple items, but can’t we have another solution by gathering the items in only one item so I will see all the transactions in one item rather than going into 3 items that are in real one item for my company. Waiting for a reply… [V]