About navision database server

hello sir,

i have small doubts on navision database server ,is there any possibility for taking the incremantal backups from the navision database server. how can we access two databases using single server from client. if u know the process please forward the process for those things.

thank u sir.

The first one is easy: No you cannot make incremental backups from the Navision Database Server.

The second one is harder. It’s possible to do this, but it requires that you change the tcp-ip ports the server is using, as it otherwise would try to communicate over the same port.

For an end-user the second question also raises an issue with licensing. The Navision end-user license allow the use of the product with 1 database. I have raised the question with Microsoft about clients the want to maintain a second Navision database (read-only) for reporting. Microsoft’s response has been a resounding NO. They must buy a complete other Navision license if they wish to run a second database.

I do believe that this would be their “out-of-the-box” reply.

But I don’t get it, especially not as if you’re running SQL Server, then you are allowed to run more than one database on the same license, as long as they run on the same server instance. The reason as see it is that with SQL Server and one license, they can still control that you’re not accessing the databases with more active sessions than your license allows you to.

This is not simply their “out-of-the-box” reply. We pushed this question thru several levels at MBS. We were asking for one of our larger customers and MBS was made well aware of that.

Remember the SQL Server is licensed independent of Navision. With Navision you are licensing the application. It is this license that restricts what you can do with the product.

That is an interesting point you make on the active sessions. This client is running SQL (MBS knows this) but the issue of active sessions I don’t think was discussed. (I was not the person talking with MBS). It might be interesting to go back at them with that question.

This has been their standard reply to us here in DK. And it’s (was?) actually described rather clear in their own license terms that you could run multiple databases - but on the same server.

You can actually run multiple databases when a Navision based Retail system is implemented.

There you buy a certain number of a granule called “Store”.
Each store entitles you to run another server instance (Native or SQL)
The only condition is that the database replicate on a regular base with eachother.
In a retail environment it is just necessary to be able to run offline databases in each store.

In that case you are purchasing an explicit license that allows the extra databases.

I spoke with Microsoft today. Their response:

You do not have to purchase an additional license if either of the following conditions is true: • You are running an additional database for only testing or development.
• You are running an additional database that includes only historical data.
Note These additional databases must not contain current company data.

You can use the same license that you use for your production database for these additional databases.

Thanks for the update, this is very good information. (At least for the few clients still on Native).

This applies to both native and SQL. The Navision end-user license does not differ.

Well in SQL its allways been the case I thought.