You cannot enter <10000> in Integer. The cursor is in front of the invalid character.

Hi there.

I receive this error when I try and change the sort quantity in NAV to allow more than 5000 records.

I’ve tried removing the caption marks and just making the quantity 10000 but then when I try to export into excel I receive this error in excel…

Does anyone have an idea of how I can resolve this? Thank you in advance.

Open the log file and see what’s inside it. When you enter values for options remove greater and less than signs."<" “>”

You need to enter 10000 instead of <10000>. NAV uses the <> to show you that this information is the default value and that it has not been changed.

I don’t think your two errors are realated.

Have you tried just to import less than 5000 records?

I did say I removed the <> in order to proceed further, thank you for varifying that it was the correct method. You guys rock and I’ll remember the info in the future. The LOG says this from the Export:

XML ERROR in Table
REASON: Bad Value
FILE: C:\Documents and Settings" "\Local Settings\Temp\Customer List.xml
TAG: Data
VALUE: 000.000.0000

If I change the number of records to less than what is in the table it does not allow me to export them. It gives me a number of records in table exceeded <3000> etc.

I’m under the impression that you guys are probably right and the issues are unrelated, but if changing the number didn’t cause the issue to arise then I’m still at a loss.

I appreciate your support! thanks again.

Hi you may have to test where the limit ends. Depending on the data type integer and long integer have different maximum number. Although, I am not sure, I will probably test for

(2^n)-1 that is less than 10000 [i.e. 2 raised to power n]

e.g. if my ‘n’ is 5 it will be (2^5)-1 = 31

You probably will be able to figure out the right ‘n’ in the equation.

I kind of understand what you’re saying but I’m not exactly sure where you expect me to apply that knowledge to. I am pretty new to NAV. (novice)

Can you elaborate a bit more? I understand that applications vary depending on code structure for integer data types, I.E. SQL uses BigInt, C uses Long and even though the represntations are the same the ending values are different.

What I don’t understand is how you intend for me to use this knowledge for NAV’s front end to figure out where the issue is…

Look at the value that is reported! <000.000.0000> - what is that and waht is it supposed to be?

What are you exporting and what is the data source, a table in NAV?

It looks like, for example, exporting a numeric field that does not validate in XL.

I gues the problem with record count is caused by where the “bad” data is within the list of “all” data.


The records I am trying to export belong to the Customer table. I’m just doing an import straight out of it, into Excel. I believe you are correct, it seems there is some bad data somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it.

That value or any values similar to it do not exist in the customer table rows… I’ve looked pretty extensively. I was wondering, would running SQL Profiler help in this case? I feel that the dataport happens on the NAV application side and is a communication between it’s programming and MS Excel. I don’t think I would see anything on the SQL side, but it’s a thought.

Did we until now clarify HOW the records are being transferred to Excel?

  • Copy&Paste
  • Export using Dataport
  • Export using XMLport

Cut the export data into blocks perhaps by the range of the customer number. Does that idientify wich block of data contains the error?

Howdy, I fixed the problem.

I was actually in the progress of editing my earlier post when I got called into a meeting and the User Groups forum expired my post time… shame.

Ok, so I didn’t bother with trying to cut the data up. I Exported it from SQL into Excel instead. I went into the data from there and discovered that the record value of the “Phone No_” column in the Customer table had been set to “000.000.0000”. I guess XML does not like decimal values in it’s export process of a varchar column, because there are other values of “000-000-0000” that seem to export just fine. After changing the value, the export began to work again.

I believe the issue is resolved.

Thank you all for your help!