Working with the g/l ledger table

I’m new to Navision but a former pascal programmer and am really looking for some advice to set me off in the right direction. We are working on our consolidated accounts using Navisions consolidation function. We need to store both base amounts and other currency amounts using specific exchange rates for both balance sheet and income statement. I appreciate there is functionality within Navision to handle this somewhat, but I am considering all our options and would like to know from anyone how possible is it: To write a trigger to update another field in the g/l entry table to the base amount, when running the consolidation function. To update data in the g/l ledger table. I need to make various adjustments to the amount field but cannot find a way to do this. I appreciate there are good reasons for restricting access to this table, but we do need to make some adjustments. Is it possible, for example to export the data out using a dataport, amend data and re-import (having deleted data)? Any help or direction here would be greatly appreciated!

I’m not sure if I understood your problem correctly but I suppose the answer might lie in three steps:

quote:

We are working on our consolidated accounts using Navisions consolidation function. We need to store both base amounts and other currency amounts

I assume that you are talking about two companies (A and B) which you’d like to consolidate in a parent trust company (Z), where company A is in GBP and company B in USD. In company Z you’d like to see the amounts in GBP, in USD and in the original currency. Is that correct? First thing you need is to set-up (in GL Setup) a Local currency (Tab: General, Field: LCY Code) as well as an “Additional Reporting Currency” on the Reporting-Tab. I never used this functionality but it might be a hint. The second step is the Report 503 (Foreign currency balance) to revaluate the amounts.

quote:

using specific exchange rates for both balance sheet and income statement.

Report 503 uses the exchange rates currently recorded. So make sure to have the right exch. rate applied in Table 330.

quote:

To write a trigger to update another field in the g/l entry table to the base amount, when running the consolidation function.

That’s possible and easy - at least at first sight. But bear in mind that you would have to change each and every financial report you want to use!

quote:

Is it possible, for example to export the data out using a dataport, amend data and re-import (having deleted data)?

If you do that, I will personally fly to the UK and kick you in the ass until you restored the db to a state prior to corruption!

quote:

Any help or direction here would be greatly appreciated!

Consider the following idea which is easy, cheap and foolproof: Instead of consolidating companies A and B into one Company Z, make two Trust companies Z_GBP and Z_USD. You have to consolidate twice but that’s about it. No worries, no expensive developing no dangerous changes on the system. Marcus
[/quote]
Marcus Fabian phone: +41 79 4397872 m.fabian@thenet.ch