Why can't I set the price at price at product variant?

why am I not able to define price at variant level - AX 2012 R3?

i released the product master with 5 different variant (my dimension is at configuration level) - I noticed the following:

I ticked the ‘use cost price for variant’ then AX allowed for item price entry (cost versions)

ok. defined purchase, cost price- activated

Opened a PO, i expect to see the purchase price but its blank;

defined sales price (activated) still AX doesn’t show the price in SO!

what could be the reason.

I can define an item, define item price that shows in PO, SO! but why not variant prices

what i want is that I have 3 variants (dimension group confi is ticked) - item is sold in 3 configs - small, medium, large.

so i want to maintain separate price for each!

PO has nothing to do with the cost in the costing version. The PO picks it up from the trade agreement of the item card. Those sales and purchase prices in the costing version are used when the BOM calculation routines are run.

To have a price you need to set a trade agreement up.

Thank you for clarifying that Adam. would that mean, if we don’t have any BoM but just buy and see the items, then potentially we don’t even need to set up a costing version at all. Is that fair assumption?

from inventory perspective, would we at least need to input cost price? perhaps we can do that in the item detail itself as supposed to defining a costing version!

to capture any purchase price variance, then I would presume we need to define item price?

In a FIFO environment you can set the costing version to look at the active cost and have nothing in it - so you have an empty costing version.

In a standard costed environment it is traditional to use the costing version to hold the standard cost so it is controlled.

You need to at least input some starting cost in FIFO and with Standard you need to define the standard cost. As you mention PPV this would be standard I presume?

Yes. It would be good to capture PPV on certain products so we can analyze the variance over a period of time. So I would think having a costing version makes sense. In such case, cost price (defined in item price) is what the system would take to record inventory transactions I presume and also use that as a base line to measure PPV and record in PPV accounts (item posting profile). Now its clear to me that purchase pricing is set/controlled at the trade agreements; sales price can be set at item detail(fast tab) level (contribution ratio etc). Thanks a lot for helping with the understanding.

Hi Adam, is there any ramification if we setup the purchase price in the Purchase fast tab of the released product (assuming it is not for variant). But for variants, i assume, we have to setup the trade agreements. Is that right?