When was customer created?

Hello,
Is there a way to see when a customer was created? I know there is a date modified field in customertable but all changes on customer is recorded in that field. I want to know when a customer was initially created.

Regards

Hi,

I see two possibilities to track customer creation:

• you can either create a new date(time)-field: Customer created, that you fill in the Customer.OnInsert Trigger

• you can setup the Change Log for tracking Customer Inserts (You find that in the Administration Menu under “Application Setup”\General"Change Log Setup"

Ok thanks for this. I will try to add field to customertable and write logic for it

It would be much easier to activate the Change Log - then you don’t have the problme of managing changes in the future - and you can control the information that is recorded.

I strongly disagree.To only look at a change from a developement perspective is to shortsighted.

In my opinion, the solution you choose depends on who (and how often) needs to access that information for what reason afterwards, and what you have to invest in educating the person who needs to access that information afterwards (not to forget the amount of time you have to spend for changing the user rights management).

For example, if you want a normal Customer account manager to have that information at one glance, the new field should be much easier to handle. If, on the other hand, only an Administrator needs to access that information (rarely), then the change log would probably be better.

I am with Daniel on this one. The cahnge log has its place, but this is not one of them.

For just about every custoemr I work with on NAV, I add the fields

• Create ON
  • Create By
  • Modify By
  • (Modified On is already there)

Since the vast majority of my clients need to see this regularly. So the customizations needed to Change log, to show this infomation on every card where needed, and then mantaining permissions and the training and all the other issues, means that this code is far less work than using the log file.

Each requirment is indeed different and that is why it is important for all of us to offer a balanced view of the differnt options that are available. Rather than making assertions without information on the requirement.

An Accounts Manger may need to see the creation date but the system administrator may need to see that and other information.

In some organisations the Change Log and not customisation is the better solution because it is a configuration option and not a modification. It is flexible and can record any fields from the table not an abritrary list that is appropriate at one stage in the implementation and use of the system.

Discussion not assertion…[:)]

OK I’ll chime in on this discussion [Y]

Activating the change log just to see a creation date is not easier than adding a couple of fields though. Change log comes with additional steps, it comes with training users to understand the change log entries (which are not easy to understand). From a standpoint of “what is easiest to keep track of when customers are created”, the answer is unequivocably (sp?) “adding the field and setting it when records are inserted”. MUCH easier even, for everyone. Easier for the user, easier for the consultant, easier for the developer.

Easy boys [Y]

As we still don’t know what the actual requirement is - the OP does not specify that and we need that information - surely we cannot categorically state what is easiest or best or most appropriate without further information relating to what information is needed by whom and when.

IF you are not developer, do not have a development licence - is that easier?

IF you are working in a SARBOX controlled environment is that easier?

[:)]

On the contrary, the OP was quite clear on the requirement:

Then when someone suggested adding a field for that, you said that change log is much easier:

I just don’t agree with that. Change log is not intuitive at all, and requires a lot of training. Adding a small field and one-two lines of code takes just a few minutes and gives them exactly what they need. Every single implementation I have ever been a part of includes modifying objects by rule rather than exception, so there is always access to someone with a developer license. If it is an environment that needs to be SOX or FDA or whatever else compliant, there is already a process for change management, in which case I would still argue that adding the field would be easier.

Intuition has many related meanings, usually connected to the meaning “ability to sense or know immediately without reasoning”, and is often regarded as a divine or prophetic power, including.

I guess I don’t have enough divine or prophetic powers to understand what that is supposed to mean [*-)]